Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default Feeling out the waters.

Haven't really decided if I want to sell, so that is why it is not in the for sale section. Just looking for honest opinions on what I should ask if I do (you wont hurt my feeling) I know as much as someone will give me..lol

It is a back half car,with all TRZ front susp, all alum interior, all glass except roof & quarters, 535 wide port w/474 standard port spare, Glide w/9" conv, 9" w/4:10 gears, full of electronics to run S/Pro S/G S/SST Car has run 8.80 @ 152. on a so so track. I believe it will run 70's

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Suspended

Bad mo-fo right there.... I'd be in Oklahoma in about 5 minutes

Old 12-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moly cage or mild steel, mild steel is worth a lot less. round tube back half or square tube, square tube is worth a lot less. What is the chasis certified to? What rear suspension? What rear housing, center section, axels etc? What kind of fuel system? What kind of electronics? What kind of driveshaft? What kind of transmission? What are the engine internals, block, crank, pan, vacuum pump, shaft bars etc. All of these parameters contribute to the resale value.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

Ya, I guess it would. Mild steel, round tube, 8.50 cert Moser rear end (not housing) Ladder bar, all strange double adj shocks, rack & pinion, JW power glide, performance Eng. fuel system, 535, IA2 block, steel crank, Oliver billet rods, Ross pistons, comp roller, W/ports T&D rocker shafts, Victor, e85 1050, Moroso Vac pump.
474, stock blockW/splayed caps GRP alum rods, Ross pistons, Comp roller, reg port edel, T&D rocker shafts.

It's far from a high dollar race car, but I don't wan't to give it away either.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Suspended

I'd say the man that owns it knows best but I'll throw you some compliments just the same.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I may be in the market for a roller. My tube chassis project is taking a lot longer than I wanted it to. I have all my own power,trans and electronics. If you come up with a solid number get a hold of me.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 12-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What does it weight Gary? Don't sell it unless you are buying something better or you are upgrading Karen's bike to kick some serious butt next year!

Old 12-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronman View Post
What does it weight Gary? Don't sell it unless you are buying something better or you are upgrading Karen's bike to kick some serious butt next year!
^^^^What he said^^^LOL. I'm sure you have your reasons but if you sell it then all of a sudden feel the urge to go .90 racing I have a Burgandy Pontiac you can drive anytime you want!

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.82@159.91 in Joliet May 2024 ….157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronman View Post
2525 race ready no driver.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ill throw a number at you because your car is very similar to mine. With the extra motor I feel the value is close to 38K. I think it would be hard to build for 60k. I got a few year old appraisal with mine, that IIrC was 47,000. I also think, if you want to sell you may end up taking less. These things are only worth what someone is willing to pay and Pontiac guys are some of the cheapest. However, There are some great cars out there that can be had for less, they may be faster or newer component wise. Probably camaro shaped. If you decide to sell, You will have the people that have always admired your car and combo interested. You may want to get it out there on the market and see what interest it brings, and see what you can actually sell it for vs. what the hundreds of tire kickers you will deal with, will try and steal it for.

good luck, it appears to be an excellent piece and i hope it finds a deserving home if you decide to part ways with it.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 12-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
Ill throw a number at you because your car is very similar to mine. With the extra motor I feel the value is close to 38K. I think it would be hard to build for 60k. I got a few year old appraisal with mine, that IIrC was 47,000. I also think, if you want to sell you may end up taking less. These things are only worth what someone is willing to pay and Pontiac guys are some of the cheapest. However, There are some great cars out there that can be had for less, they may be faster or newer component wise. Probably camaro shaped. If you decide to sell, You will have the people that have always admired your car and combo interested. You may want to get it out there on the market and see what interest it brings, and see what you can actually sell it for vs. what the hundreds of tire kickers you will deal with, will try and steal it for.

good luck, it appears to be an excellent piece and i hope it finds a deserving home if you decide to part ways with it.
Thanks for your post. At least I know I would not be out of line if or when I do decide. I would ask less then that. Yes you are correct about how much it would be to build but I know you can never get out what you put into it. Heck I have 30k in just the 2 engines.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Senior Chief

To be honest, you'll never sell it turnkey for nearly $38k or $30k. If you honestly want a starting price I would go $25k. You'd be hard pressed to get $10k to $15k out of it as a roller. If someone offered me $25k turnkey I wouldn't hesitate. So basically they would pay for the drivetrain and get the car for free...that's how I see it. I have the same chassis...my motor combo is a little more exotic than your combo. You have a nice car, its just going to take the right person & time to strike the right deal. GLWS

Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your car for 25k is solid bargain. I wouldn't consider that for mine and yours is faster. Not sure if it's as well detailed. You just need right buyer

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 12-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As Jason said you can drive my stuff anytime as well. Regarding sale price I can only share my experience. A year ago I bought a tube chassis 6.0 cert 95 Bird with 23 passes for $30k. It has all the bells and whistles and came less motor & trans. If I threw my 541 motor in it I'm guessing I would be hard pressed to get $35K for it. It's unfortunate but the market is just not there for our cars. If you are seriously going to sell it I recommend you watch the market closely on Racing Junk and price accordingly. Another option is to reach out to someone like JB Strassweg at Dragstersforsale.com and talk to him as he buys/sells drag cars for a living. He's a racer and really knows the market. Call me anytime if you'd like to talk. Wishing you and Karen a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys for the reply's. Mystic, I appreciate your numbers on the car but I know it's a fantasy for me to think I could get that especially it todays market. With that being said I think I would just let it sit in my shop before I would take less then $28,000 for the car turn key with a complete spare engine.

Jason & Aaron, That's pretty awesome to offer your rides, It would be a pleaser as their is no junk there. Hey if your ever on the west coast and need a ride let me know, my car just sit right now, since we got back into PSM I just don't have the time, That really the reason of the thread, I don't need to sell it or even really want to but as the old saying goes…Any things for sale if the price is right.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferris View Post
I may be in the market for a roller. My tube chassis project is taking a lot longer than I wanted it to. I have all my own power,trans and electronics. If you come up with a solid number get a hold of me.
I am looking for a motor and maybe trans and converter too...

if you're after the chassis.. maybe some new numbers can be discussed and we can see if it's a number that is interesting enough for the car to be sold???

Actually.. I might even be interested in the entire package....also.. if you come up with a solid number... please message me.

thanks

If I can't win.. I don't want to play!

Last edited by Stormin; 12-16-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSIVPWR View Post
With that being said I think I would just let it sit in my shop before I would take less then $28,000 for the car turn key with a complete spare engine.
It would be sitting in your shop for a long while before you could find the one buyer who would pay that price for the package deal.

The only way to sell a race car is to piece it out.

You can find several interested parties for each engine at a fair price for each.

You can find a buyer for the trans at a fair price.

You can find a buyer for the roller at a fair price.

The sum of the four individual buyers would be much more than finding one buyer to take it all off your hands at one time.

JMO

Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That bird is sweet , would hate to see that car pieced out , I wouldn't do it .

Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Wether there is more money to be made or not by piecing it out it won't be by me. Like I said, I don't need to sell it so it can take years or a day for all I care.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:20 AM

soooo... does that mean it's for sale ? and if so.. have you figured out what you need to get for it?

if it's for sale.. I am interested and will have more questions about both motors and the car of course...

let me know

thank you
nb

If I can't win.. I don't want to play!