Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I said I was going to get one....and now I have.

Its the boost section, and I am in the process of buying a new boosted toy.

I mean transportation for the long weekly drive thru the mountains on my way to and from my new job. I start a 24 month contract PCB design gig in San Diego in mid November. Drive in Monday morning and back home on Friday afternoon.

I found a very nice, low mile 2012 Ford Flex Limited Titanium with the eco-boost (twin turbo) motor in Texas. My first on line car purchase. All that remains is waiting for it to arrive sometime next week on the car hauler.

I recently did a 12 month gig in San Diego, and the guy I carpooled with had a Flex, and I drove that one at least 6,000 miles during that year. So I am very familiar with it. I really like the car. A lot. Enough so to buy one.

And after nosing around a bit, it would seem that the aftermarket has quite a selection of go faster goodies for this vehicle.

Hmmmm. An AWD, 550HP family hauler and highway cruiser.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
Its the boost section, and I am in the process of buying a new boosted toy.

I mean transportation for the long weekly drive thru the mountains on my way to and from my new job. I start a 24 month contract PCB design gig in San Diego in mid November. Drive in Monday morning and back home on Friday afternoon.

I found a very nice, low mile 2012 Ford Flex Limited Titanium with the eco-boost (twin turbo) motor in Texas. My first on line car purchase. All that remains is waiting for it to arrive sometime next week on the car hauler.

I recently did a 12 month gig in San Diego, and the guy I carpooled with had a Flex, and I drove that one at least 6,000 miles during that year. So I am very familiar with it. I really like the car. A lot. Enough so to buy one.

And after nosing around a bit, it would seem that the aftermarket has quite a selection of go faster goodies for this vehicle.

Hmmmm. An AWD, 550HP family hauler and highway cruiser.
Congrats on buying a ECOBOOST V-6 engine Ford Flex, Tom.

Agree the Aftermarket has a bunch of parts but don't get your hopes up for a 550 HP family hauler as the Direct Injection Fuel Pump capability is only 425 Rear Wheel HP.
(Ask John Clegg in Victoria Texas about his mods on his ECOBOOST F-150 engine.)

John's Mods (he said) were air inlet and exhaust related.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for that tip.
But a local outfit in Phoenix (ECO) that does a LOT of eco-boost work has a fix for the fuel thing. Or maybe its a band aid, but it seems to work. They add 6 intake manifold runner injectors and the ecu for these 6 injectors can be turned on at a specific point (boost activated) and this ECU can be programmed to supply the extra fuel necessary thru the additional injectors.

Its closed loop as well. Not a cheap fix, but you do get what you pay for. Their shop Flex has made over 600HP/642TQ. On a chassis dyno, so its wheel power. And its a completely stock, 2011 eco-boost engine. No stud upgrades, no rod/piston upgrades. Pretty impressive and speaks well of Fords work to 'get it right'.

The fuel system upgrade is here;

http://www.ecopowerparts.com/shop/in...23dcebf5285ec5

Last edited by Tom McQueen; 10-29-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A clarification. The ECO Flex making the big power numbers does have the ATP turbo upgrade. But internally, its a stocker.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
Thanks for that tip.
But a local outfit in Phoenix (ECO) that does a LOT of eco-boost work has a fix for the fuel thing. Or maybe its a band aid, but it seems to work. They add 6 intake manifold runner injectors and the ecu for these 6 injectors can be turned on at a specific point (boost activated) and this ECU can be programmed to supply the extra fuel necessary thru the additional injectors.

Its closed loop as well. Not a cheap fix, but you do get what you pay for. Their shop Flex has made over 600HP/642TQ. On a chassis dyno, so its wheel power. And its a completely stock, 2011 eco-boost engine. No stud upgrades, no rod/piston upgrades. Pretty impressive and speaks well of Fords work to 'get it right'.

The fuel system upgrade is here;

http://www.ecopowerparts.com/shop/in...23dcebf5285ec5
The "fix" is also what was done to the factory Ford $$$$ 2016 GT "Super Car"race car engine, Tom.
A combination of the factory Direct Fuel Injection pump system and external Port Fuel Injection system parts (which when combined can make whatever HP the Engine will hold. Which is well over 600 hp. The engine is a strong engine).

Basically a dual fueled system. (In my mind a better system vs a dual DFI pump deal).

A buddy with a 34 Ford had a boosted carb set-up with additional controlled PFT injectors on his 351 engine for over 20 years. No new technology.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never meant to imply he invented the technology.
Only that he had a 'fix' for the problem. Seems the right one, based on the factory doing the same thing so successfully.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:25 PM
Boost Engineer

No Worries. If it works, go for it.

It is one of those deals, Tom, where a Race supplier and a Factory Vehicle Manufacturer (who is building a high end race vehicle) agree on a common fix to a hardware flow limit.

It would cost a lot of money to add a second DI fuel pump to a vehicle (like a V-6 ECOBOOST) and you still would be short on fuel at some point vs the PFI fix.

Tom V.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom Vaught.......Have you seen these? A drop in replacement injector for the Ford ecoboost piece with 1700cc max flow.

http://www.unleashedtuning.com/deats...cc-injectors-1

Old 11-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Boost Engineer

PM Sent.

TV