Old 11-22-2015, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

She scored Vintage Legend. A great result and super fun show.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	414008  

Old 11-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awsome Greg, great car , great show

Old 11-23-2015, 05:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats Greg. Very well done.

I would love to see a picture of your VIN data decal on the drivers door to help me nail down the detail for the Black Car. Send me a PM if you would rather not post it and I will contact you directly.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome, congratulations

Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Congrats Greg. Very well done.

I would love to see a picture of your VIN data decal on the drivers door to help me nail down the detail for the Black Car. Send me a PM if you would rather not post it and I will contact you directly.
Bob, I had one made by ECS Automotive for the car along with the small Canadian Import sticker. It should be in the package of stuff you got when you bought it. They make the most accurate ones out there.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default great job

Well done

Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Bob, I had one made by ECS Automotive for the car along with the small Canadian Import sticker. It should be in the package of stuff you got when you bought it. They make the most accurate ones out there.
Thanks Steve. I don't remember seeing them, but will check. Yes on ECS. I already spoke with them, but they wouldn't proceed with a photo of the dash VIN plate or title.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well done Greg! You and your wife are car people thru and thru! Hope your trip home was better than the trip up here! Get some Italian beef sandwiches at Portillio's?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Hey Greg congrats on the two recent awards (AACA and the MCACN Vintage Legend) well done indeed!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks Steve. I don't remember seeing them, but will check. Yes on ECS. I already spoke with them, but they wouldn't proceed with a photo of the dash VIN plate or title.
I had them made prior to having the car shipped from Canada just in case the Customs guys mandated them but they said that only newer cars required the door decal. So it should be in an envelope with the papers.

(sorry for the hijack)

Back to our regularly scheduled program....

Congrats on the award! I am thinking about bringing the SD next year for certification.

What kind of prep did you have to do to the car - any more than just basic cleaning? Do they deduct points for dirty underside? I had asked Steve Shauger who does the certification, about removing and cleaning dirt/grease/patina from underneath and he said it would be better to leave as is if there was any chance that any markings could be damaged.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on the award Greg . Very cool car.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I had them made prior to having the car shipped from Canada just in case the Customs guys mandated them but they said that only newer cars required the door decal. So it should be in an envelope with the papers.

(sorry for the hijack)

Congrats on the award! I am thinking about bringing the SD next year for certification.

What kind of prep did you have to do to the car - any more than just basic cleaning? Do they deduct points for dirty underside? I had asked Steve Shauger who does the certification, about removing and cleaning dirt/grease/patina from underneath and he said it would be better to leave as is if there was any chance that any markings could be damaged.

Now I have a good excuse for being lazy.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope you enjoyed Chicago!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You just made me super hungry Mike! Beth and I love visiting Chicago. It will be 2017 before our big industry convention returns there, but after seeing that picture, we may need to hop in the new Stingray and ride up there next summer for a visit - maybe help you exercise your herd?

BJ

Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
maybe help you exercise your herd?

BJ
Don't worry BJ, they've been getting enough exercise on their own.

Greg, great accomplishment on a fantastic car!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Don't worry BJ, they've been getting enough exercise on their own.

!
Now that's funny and I don't care where your from 😂

Old 11-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks everyone. We had a blast and really enjoyed seeing great friends and enjoying the show and surroundings. If it had not been for the trailer flat on the way up we would not have had the chance to get into town for the flat repair and enjoy one of Judge273's Chicago food group suggestions:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	414247   Click image for larger version

Name:	t2.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	414248   Click image for larger version

Name:	gene and judes.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	414249  

Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hi Bob, Sounds like Steve cleared this up, but just in case, here's a pic of the door vin tag:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	414250  

Old 11-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th View Post

Make sure you replace that front tire too. It has been internally damaged by the flying metal splinters of the sperated cord and the beating it took from the delaminated rear tire. It's a grenade waiting to go off on your next trip. It happened to me and took out my fender flares on the trailer, too.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Steve S. may have said that not knowing what level of analitious maximus most of us here on these forums have. Having said that, I would completely clean all areas of the car, including the underside. A super clean car shows well and tweaks up the original areas vs. leaving the dirt (aka barn findish) which is less complimentary of overall presentation of the car.

We all know where to be delicate with the cleaning to preserve tags, paint daubs and less than perfect coatings.

Two tips for cleaning I would recommend:

Gunk engine degreaser for all dirts, oils etc: This can be used on metal as well as the window rubber, worked with tooth brush and rags etc. The plastic spades/prybars used on window molding is great for scraping. Harmless to metal and most paint daubs. Patience helps too. A good wipe down a week or so before the show gives the degreaser a chance to dry and lose it's 'shine' but still leave a rich color on the paints and rubber but not looking oiled or Armoral'd.

Easy Off oven cleaner but ONLY on specific rubber parts: This will take paint off gray spiral shocks and other black original coated parts (don't ask me how I know). But the oven cleaner is excellent for fan shrouds, wiper hoses, AC, vacuum hoses etc. Normally it does not take the original stenciled lettering off the AC and vacuum hoses.

The good news is this type of cleaning associated with Art Preservation does not require any brushes smaller than a toothbrush Unlike the concour restorations like Adrian in which Q-tips are a requirement, haha.

Other tips for preparation of the car include reading the Vintage Certification scoring instructions carefully. They do not want to see NOS parts or pretty clean new parts on the car, but instead relish in the patina'd original parts that give the overall presentation the look of a 44 year old car.

A simple example is the idle stop solenoid. I didn't have one on the car, so I put on an NOS replacement and got 50% of the value. Reproduction replacement would have received 0 points. An ugly used example would have received full points.

The judges are very good, and with an honest approach to preparation and disclosure of any tweaks made, the car will end up being scored accurately.

In the second picture, the exhaust U-bolts are being evaluated to see if A. are they original and B. have they been removed or molested. Yep... analitious.

They love'd the underside of this car!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vintage cert 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	414251   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage cert 2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	414252