Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64
Default Cover For Convertible Top Pump

I can't remember if we've talked about this before , so I thought I would post this . Over the years in a couple of the 64 Lemans convertibles I parted out there were metal covers instead of cardboard over the top pump . A few months ago I was at a friends place and they had just cut up a 64 Lemans convertible and had a pile of scrap and right off the bat I recognized the cover in the pile. So I grabbed it . Media blasted it and painted it to the color I've seem them in the cars I've parted out My 64 actually has this cover in it . Has anyone else seem them ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0188 - Copy.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	387341  

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 01-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I vaguely recall discussing this here.

My 11D '64 GTO Fremont build has the metal cover.

Mine has a code stamped on it, can't make it out, but might be the stamping plant date code. 3 characters, 1st character spaced a bit apart from the other 2. The 2 characters "might" read 36. Most of my stamping date codes are in the range of Z40 to Z44 (40th to 44th week), 36 would not be much out of line.

The part is called the Hydraulic Motor & Pump Shield and illustrated in the MPC. However, it indicates that it is N.S. (Not Stocked) so no part no. shown for it, it was not offered for service.

However, in Gr. 14.481, you can find this:

Two different Motor Assemblies listed for the '64 Tempest Custom & Lemans Convertibles.

The p/n 5044573 is indicated as 1st Type w/ steel pump shield.

The p/n 5044586 is indicated as 2nd Type w/ foundation board pump shield.

The 2nd type is shown in the '66 MPC as '64-'66, so this suggests a running change during '64. The 1st type shows '64 usage only.

Similar notations for the '64 big Pontiacs, suggesting a running change to the "foundation board pump shield" for the revised motor assemblies used in them also.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting note: Found a metal cove for my 64 "B" body car. went to install the cover, and the holes didn't line up, but the cardboard cover/shield holes lined up. car was built 4-15-64

Old 01-20-2015, 01:54 PM

Default Pump motor cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8LUG View Post
Interesting note: Found a metal cove for my 64 "B" body car. went to install the cover, and the holes didn't line up, but the cardboard cover/shield holes lined up. car was built 4-15-64
Iinterested if the metal cover lines up and is a fit for the 64 gto? I saw one at Pa show but didnt know enough to buy and install on my 64 build.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim M. has a metal cover on a 65 he has in storage. I asked him some questions about it. He will get back, maybe even a picture! "Bill"!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

picture of the one in my 64 also the correct muslin drape under the boot well made from an original for pattern .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2160[1].jpg
Views:	114
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	389729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2161[1].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	389730  

Old 02-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GREAT pics there 3 Deuce. I love the yellow on the torsion bars. I've had it on mine for years. I always look; first time I've seen it on another!! "Bill"!
The metal cover is on my bucket list along with a tri fold boot.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill fortunately when I bought this 64 in 77 it was a survivor still in it's original paint and hadn't been messed with . so when I cleaned it up and detailed it. I tried to keep everything looking as it was . The unfortunate thing was I did do a color ( matador red candy with gold base ) change shortly after I bought it but it was returned to the original grenadier red a few years later when I found out how original the car really was.

Other 64 owners it would be interesting if you could check your torsion rods and see if there is any remains of yellow on them . It would only be on the drivers side and the spring with the longer ends.

Last edited by 3 Deuce 64; 02-09-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

Bill/3Deuce64

I believe all of the plants (not certain about KC) received these torsion rods from the same vendor. The vendor was probably asked to differentiate the two rods to simplify assembly. Not sure if they had florescent orange back in '64, and felt that a gloss yellow would suffice. For reference, only the driver's side rear most (they cross) rod was marked, and it appears that the process involved the dipping of the rod into the yellow. I do not believe they scuffed the gloss yellow paint to promote the adhesion of the body colored paint that the '64 models received for the trunk. Surprisingly, every example that I can recall studying has had a fairly heavy dose of body paint on the rear side of these rods, as well as the rubber insulator. The body color paint appears to have wrapped itself around the entire circumference of the rods, the rubber insulator not so much, with the heaviest accumulations on the back (visible from the rear of car) side. The examples that I have seen typically has the body paint cracked and chipping off the portion of the rod that had been dipped in gloss yellow, so that a fingernail will easily loosen the body color paint, coming off in flakes. The first picture below in Nocturne Blue (for Bill) shows the condition at the age of 44 years (Pontiac Plant) of the wear on this rod, revealing the gloss yellow paint below the blue. The next two pictures in Grenadier Red (for 3D64) (Baltimore), shows the condition of the rods after 20 years of light use. Although not visible, the gloss yellow is beneath the red (lacquer), but activity involving the movement of the trunk lid has not been enough to reveal the yellow beneath. Hopefully, these two pictures show the chipping of red paint on the front torsion rod (closest to seat) due to trunk lid activity, revealing metal. The last picture in Starlight Black (Fremont) shows the provision of the gloss yellow prior to the application of the black body paint. I am undecided whether to apply the black body paint over the yellow, although I believe hiding the yellow would be the most accurate depiction of how this rod would have appeared when the car was new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964 torsion rod color coding 001 (3).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	411992   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Torsion Rod Color Coding 002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	411993   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Torsion Rod Color Coding 003.jpg
Views:	67