Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Interesting read on "Wide Track"

here is a link to an article I found..
http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-hist...track-history/

Old 09-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Suspended

A great read I just read some stuff I didn't know & a lot I did. But still if you love Pontiac like I do read it you'll love the info.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 AM
Suspended

One thing I forgot to say , when Pontiac started to follow & not lead thats when it really went down hill. GM should not allow foreign people run the car divisions as they don't have the company & America first in there minds. The little Jap that decided to put the Holden up for the GTO was only trying to put Pontiac in line to compete with the BMW , & didn't have the real GTO buyer in mind as they did a poll & decided to go there own way as the people they poll about the GTO for the 2004 asked for a retro style to the GTO but Pontiac decided to go the way they thought it needed to go & they blew It. I talked with the designer who decided to go with the Holden design at Disney World before the Holden came out & he admitted they were try to compete with the BMW. Even though the people wanted retro. The new mustang was out & he told me they had thought about going retro but didn't think even after the people had said they wanted it . But we all know how it went, & we lost. We may still have our marque if they would have listened to the people who were the buying group. Thats the problem with having foreigners in the places they should not be. Make America strong, kick out all who aren't legal.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've often wondered about the "wide track" and thought that the chevelles and olds used the same parts, and wondered what exactly is "wide track"?

Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 AM
Suspended

Pontiac came up with it 1st & later all the other GM lines followed , but we had it 1st & it was great for the handling of the car back then. It would have been a lot better if they would have just gotten rid of that worthless X-frame.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:22 AM
OzPontiac

Very interesting, I found myself looking at vertually all the models shown and thinking yep, I'd like one of those.

Pontiac, you either get it or you don't; and I love them!

Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "Wide Track" was really only on the full Size B-body cars. I do not believe the Pontiac A or F body cars had any real wider track than the other divisions. I do remember that the Big Pontiac cars were almost undriveable in the winter on Rural Colorado Roads. They would not fit in the tracks of the prior cars and when the snow turned to ice on the unplowed county roads you could "almost" take your hands off the steering wheel as the car would follow the iced in 2 track ruts.
But the Big Pontiac's would have at least 1 tire out of the ruts. It is one of the reasons my Older Brother traded in his 64 2+2 on a 67 GTO, no issue with the GTO and the winter roads.
And there was no issue on the main roads that the county actually plowed. Now they plow all the county roads eventually so there would be no real issue today.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 09-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a few thoughts about this:

1. It ain't WWII anymore - we don't call them "Japs."

2. Pontiac's strength was being part of GM, but it was also its biggest liability.

3. You mistake a captive import like the Holden as being produced by someone that didn't have Pontiac's interest in mind - it actually was the opposite.

4. The GTO's marketing was more at fault (see #3, above), plus I'm sure other reasons.

5. It's possible the GTO being handled correctly wouldn't have saved Pontiac (see #2, above), as Pontiac's death was a long, slow one.

6. Yeah, it sucks Pontiac is gone, but I don't tie too much of my life to a brand. Sure, there are some brands that I am loyal to, but when a better one comes along, I likely will hop on the bandwagon. Part of this is a function of my age, but I see no reason to be a slave to products or marketing - they don't define me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
One thing I forgot to say , when Pontiac started to follow & not lead thats when it really went down hill. GM should not allow foreign people run the car divisions as they don't have the company & America first in there minds. The little Jap that decided to put the Holden up for the GTO was only trying to put Pontiac in line to compete with the BMW , & didn't have the real GTO buyer in mind as they did a poll & decided to go there own way as the people they poll about the GTO for the 2004 asked for a retro style to the GTO but Pontiac decided to go the way they thought it needed to go & they blew It. I talked with the designer who decided to go with the Holden design at Disney World before the Holden came out & he admitted they were try to compete with the BMW. Even though the people wanted retro. The new mustang was out & he told me they had thought about going retro but didn't think even after the people had said they wanted it . But we all know how it went, & we lost. We may still have our marque if they would have listened to the people who were the buying group. Thats the problem with having foreigners in the places they should not be. Make America strong, kick out all who aren't legal.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
1. It ain't WWII anymore - we don't call them "Japs."
Sadly, the evidence says otherwise.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue