Old 09-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default A REAL tech question.......strange spring in Q-Jet

Donnas '63 Ventura been sitting w/leaky heater core. Finally fixed that so we could drive the car during what is left of summer.........gas tank leaked. Took me 3wks to fix that. Every time I fiddle with a gas tank, I end up w/fuel pump or carb problem......

Yup....started the engine a week ago & gasoline ran out of every crack & crevice on the carb. Wonder I didnt have a fire.

Q-Jet #7024244 (1974???). Carried the cab to the bench making sure the fuel stayed in the bowl to check sunken float...top off.....nope. Lotsa very small grits settled into the bowl bottom, I looked things over for several minutes, been 10yrs since I did a Q-Jet!!!! I specifically looked at the jets. OK......metering rods were out....spring still in the well. I took the cap off the check ball for the accl. pump, loosened & left the seat, turned the whole thing over into a small pan. Retrieved the seat & check ball. When I went to take the jets out, there is a small spring lying on top of one of them.....???? This coil spring is 5/16 long, 1/4 dia & wire size same as metering rod spring.......????? Where did that come from????

The only schematic I could locate here was for a newer version carb & no such spring was listed or shown.....

Appreciate anyone cluing me in on this one?????????

PJH

Old 09-21-2015, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe someone left it in there and it was hanging the metering rods up in the up position?...or possibly part of the metering rod spring broke off?

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-22-2015 at 12:13 AM.