Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 PM

Default Replace my vinyl

I would like to replace my vinyl top on my 66 lemans. Can you re-use the moldings if i'm careful and if not, we're do i find best new moldings and vinyl top for this 4-door (!)? I guess moldings where you can roll over the vinyl are the best to consider and where would i find these?

Who has some experience with it.

-------------
Deurne, The Netherlands
Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Replace my vinyl

If your careful removing the moldings I see no reason to can't reuse them I did on mine, if you have the original top on the car there might be a stainless strip in the rain gutter that can be reused also but removing it is a real pain to do but can be done a pro installer can re install it but its a job to do most guys leave it out. good luck jd grim 66 gto

Old 07-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've removed the stainless gutter trim on my GTO and it wasn't hard to do. Use a small pair of channel lock or regular pliers with the teeth wrapped with electrical tape. You won't mark up the trim or hurt the paint that way. But go slow and work your way along the trim from front to rear so you don't bend it. Putting it on is the easy part but again, go slow and tap it on with your hand from rear to front. The front corners are tricky but again, go slow. If I can do it anyone can.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Senior Chief

I need to do this too. I'll likely need to epoxy the roof before re-applying as mine is still original and apparently the factory didn't prep these well. Fingers crossed it's dry underneath.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just had mine done and I see no reason to remove them. I had mine on already and the vinyl top just is glued and tucked in behind the trim.

67 Nova
64 Nova