Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 AM

Default Flex-a-lite 295

If anyone is running a Flex-lite 295 electric fan on their 2nd gen F-body, how did that work out for you, and how did you mount it? Pics would be great.

I already posted this on the heating and cooling section, I apologize for the double post, but I would appreciate all the feedback I can get. I have been able to get the car to cool fine all the time without the A/C, and as long as it is moving with the A/C, but have problems idling with the A/C, plus since I switched to a super duty fan clutch, I can't get a handle on belt noise.

Thanks
Mack

Old 07-15-2015, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So this issue did not take place before the fan clutch change?
If so then the new clutch may have changed the depth of the fan in the shroud.
The ideal set up is to have the fan blades set half way in, and half way out of the shroud.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i run a 12 and 14" fan on my 79 with the stock shroud in place
i never had an issue, but i also don't have AC
been running it with a standard 4 core rad and now with the aluminum rad, again no issues

make sure you use a relay for power and make sure you have an updated alt
i believe the fan you mention pulls more air than mine, which will mean more of a draw
if you update the alt, update the wires too, last thing you want to do on an older setup if push more amps thru wires not designed for it

when i switched to the electric water pump it runs even cooler now

Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
So this issue did not take place before the fan clutch change?
If so then the new clutch may have changed the depth of the fan in the shroud.
The ideal set up is to have the fan blades set half way in, and half way out of the shroud.
The belt squeal issue started with the fan clutch change. The temp issue is why I changed the fan clutch in the first place. Basic problem could have there, unseen, for some time, the A/C hadn't worked in years, just became operational last year.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
i run a 12 and 14" fan on my 79 with the stock shroud in place
i never had an issue, but i also don't have AC
been running it with a standard 4 core rad and now with the aluminum rad, again no issues

make sure you use a relay for power and make sure you have an updated alt
i believe the fan you mention pulls more air than mine, which will mean more of a draw
if you update the alt, update the wires too, last thing you want to do on an older setup if push more amps thru wires not designed for it

when i switched to the electric water pump it runs even cooler now
How did you mount your fans?
I switched to a Be-Cool radiator years ago from a 4 core desert cooler. The Be-Cool works better for my needs. Alt is currently the OEM 80amp unit. Been putting off replacing it for some time now just due to it's age, so won't mind up-grading while I'm at it.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Used pullys can look great, but be worn enough that only a small portion of each side of the belt is in contact with the grove.
I would clean up the groves to be free from oil and color each side of the groove with a big tip black marker, than add the bets and runn the motor a bit to check the contact pattern.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 07-16-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Used pullys can look great, but be worn enough that only a small portion of each side of the belt is in contact with the grove.
I would clean up the groves to be free from oil and color each side of the groove with a big tip black marker, than add the bets and runn the motor a bit to check the contact pattern.
Good idea, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
How did you mount your fans?
I switched to a Be-Cool radiator years ago from a 4 core desert cooler. The Be-Cool works better for my needs. Alt is currently the OEM 80amp unit. Been putting off replacing it for some time now just due to it's age, so won't mind up-grading while I'm at it.
since the fans are small and light i use push pins (kits made for this, and DO NOT over tighten them, just snug) through the rad fins (on all the various setups)
I haven't had any issues that way, they are spral fans, put out some decent air flow and hardly draw much power. i haven't found a nice e-fan/shroud setup that will bolt in nicely, so this setup seems to work great for me. you can really feel the air as it tunnels through the stock shroud.
i also use a balanced sleeve high flow t-stat like robert shaw (160) and a painless wiring harness that auto turns on at 185, i also run less than 10% antifreeze and use distilled water and water wetter, again it's just a toy climate controlled garaged kept car

the few times i've been out in the mid day heat it might get about 200-205, but most of the time somewhere in the 180/190 range, the electric water pump really keeps the temp more steadier (kind of overkill but gave me something to tinker with).

i've mounted fans like this on many setups too, greatly helped the winter warm ups and mpg's on the various rides i did them on. some for 10+ years when everyone warned me it would never work or cool enough. was worth it to me

you can also get the radiators custom now that have slide brackets on the side tanks for mounting the fans, i believe becool has a setup, not sure if it's universal or what, but possibly an option

as for alt, i prefer using the 12si alt that puts 140 out (100 a min) if you go this route.
or a cs130/140 conversion would work too, just change your power charging wire or pull the power for the efans right off the alt then. 12si has a little more lower speed output compared to 10si and i've always had them drop right in too