THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 AM
Suspended

Default Which cage would you choose?? :)

https://youtu.be/vIC7Fw1rFF4

Old 07-08-2015, 04:29 AM
Senior Chief

Lol great commercial but I think Ford will still smoke them on sales

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeal4real View Post
So you're saying that not only would people choose the aluminum cage, but that they would pay money to do that???

Old 07-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a downright stupid ad. Say what ever you want about Fords decision to go with Aluminum, but the parts are engineered differently for the material.

BTW, aren't the shark cages made from aluminum?

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
That is a downright stupid ad. Say what ever you want about Fords decision to go with Aluminum, but the parts are engineered differently for the material.

BTW, aren't the shark cages made from aluminum?

Anodized aluminum or stainless steel tubing. Carbon steel does NOT last very long in salt water. Funny thing...aircraft are built out of aluminum. The average airliner sees far more miles and differing weather situations than the average pickup truck.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
That is a downright stupid ad.
Why is it a stupid ad? I mean seriously, which cage would you choose? The aluminum one? Seriously?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As an engineer I gotta laugh at the Silverado commercials where they state "rolled" steel.
Unless it's cast or forged, ALL steel is rolled steel. That's how the mills and foundries transform raw ingots to useable forms.

Just another play on words to the supposed ignorance of their audience by the PR weenies.

Just like the "billet" aluminum moniker. All that "billet" means is that it was machined from a non cast hunk of material. Yet the catalogs push it like you are getting something extra if you opt for the "billet" version.

SMH.

And as far as the aluminum vs steel cage, if the engineering was done correctly there is no problem with the aluminum one.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The most disturbing thing was a man calling a truck "beautiful".

Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
The most disturbing thing was a man calling a truck "beautiful".
There are many reasons why a truck is better than a woman.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
As an engineer I gotta laugh at the Silverado commercials where they state "rolled" steel.
Unless it's cast or forged, ALL steel is rolled steel. That's how the mills and foundries transform raw ingots to useable forms.

Just another play on words to the supposed ignorance of their audience by the PR weenies.

Just like the "billet" aluminum moniker. All that "billet" means is that it was machined from a non cast hunk of material. Yet the catalogs push it like you are getting something extra if you opt for the "billet" version.

SMH.

And as far as the aluminum vs steel cage, if the engineering was done correctly there is no problem with the aluminum one.
Thanks for the lucidity, Jamie. IF the correct alloy is used, aluminum CAN be as strong as steel. I look forward to when carbon fiber body panels and structures will be used in all production automobiles. MUCH lighter than steel and 10 times STRONGER.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What Chevy won't tell you.....

They also use aluminum body panels on their trucks - have for a couple of years already.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

Meh.

I buy either one and only thing I'll be hauling is five years of debt.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink For me....

no steel...no deal. Seriously...I've heard horror stories about the aluminum trucks giving body men fits when they get wrecked. Maybe it's a learning curve thing.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
no steel...no deal. Seriously...I've heard horror stories about the aluminum trucks giving body men fits when they get wrecked. Maybe it's a learning curve thing.
I wish some of my stuff was aluminum. I have some experience with aluminum on my tig, but not to where I'll weld structural like I will with steel. Maybe someday. Rust kills off cars here tho, so I'd be willing to learn more if that's what floods the market.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

Gimme a running 69hp super beetle and I'll hit that bear so hard it's guts will squirt out its mouth!

It's a nice commercial, but bears, like all mammals, are soft and squishy compaired to machines.

I'm missing the point - aren't I

Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aluminum is fine but keep it away from salt water or road salt. Years ago we had to go thru a Cessna 172 that went down into the Gulf of Mexico off the western Florida coast. What a mess the whole structure was from it's salt bath. I've seen a few aluminum body panels on a couple of cars that weren't pretty either from road salt doing a job on them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeal4real View Post
You would be wrong.

Again in June, F Series pickups are down (8.9% in June) while Chevy is up 18.4% and GMC is up 20.8%. For the year, Ford is down 2.4%, while Chevy is up 14.6% and GMC is up 8.2%. Total sales for Ford - 357,180 vs 376,672 for GM.

And this doesn't take into account that GM now has the Colorado/Canyon pickups that are selling extremely well (another 56,000+ trucks).

Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
Another youtube from GM on the cost to repair the aluminum F150 vs a mostly steel (yes, GM uses an aluminum hood) GM Silverado/Sierra...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLFe8g7E2sc

34 days longer to repair the F150 and an extra $1750 for the same repair (Ford trucks repaired at authorized Ford dealerships, GM at authorized GM dealerships).

Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Aluminum is fine but keep it away from salt water or road salt. Years ago we had to go thru a Cessna 172 that went down into the Gulf of Mexico off the western Florida coast. What a mess the whole structure was from it's salt bath. I've seen a few aluminum body panels on a couple of cars that weren't pretty either from road salt doing a job on them.
That's my biggest concern about aluminum body panels. I've seen too many aircraft eaten up the inside with severe corrosion because rain water didn't drain properly. Unless the aluminum is passivated and primed with an epoxy primer or anodized, it will be VERY vulnerable to corrosion. Apparently, our GM sycophant NEVER saw a '73-'80 GM truck rust on the show room floor due to substandard steel being used. It was a COMMON problem in that model. Does the 4100 series Cadillac "engine" ring any bells for anyone?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They've used aluminum sub frames on cars for what now, 15? years, without a corrosion issue.
Least not here in Midwest with 4-5 months of salt on the road.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100