Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Turbo exhaust tidbits

Due to some questions thrown my way about turbo exhaust and questions asked within threads, I thought I'd start a "share" thread.

I've copied a page that covers slip joints(my preference over flex joints most use these days) and some info that will help minimize pipe cracks.

This is from Hugh MacInnes 2nd edition turbo book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slip joint_0001.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	401475  

Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Boost Engineer

Good info Bruce. Especially the clearance between the two pipes.

I have his original book and the reprint editions but many times skim over valuable info like that.

The lower picture with the boost pressure controlled by the inlet restriction device is a bit dated compared to today's good wastegates.

The Calloway fuel pressure increaser (due to added boost) noted in the book was copied by Vortech for a few years on the early EFI Mustangs. Today we have better EFI boost system control regulators (one to one) too.

Thanks for the post.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the 1st edition as well. Yes some things are dated as better components have come along. Still lots of solid info that still applies can be found in these books.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Boost Engineer

Even though Hugh liked CFM vs Pounds per Minute for his calculations His Density charts are a good source for the actual air conditions if you have the ability to actually read them and do the calculations.

I did a excel spreadsheet at one time using his formulas and info and also did the common Pounds per Minute calculations John E posted on the internet years ago.

Both do a great job getting you real close on the FIRST TRY on purchasing a Turbo for the application.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My turbo merge pipe is Y shaped, and the two pipes that connect to it are both U shaped, the U allows the pipe to grow in length and the bend keeps things from cracking.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is good info Bruce.
Thanks.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post
This is good info Bruce.
Thanks.
Thanks!. Are you and your beast going to make Norwalk?

I was looking through my resources for hot side examples. Fitting twins in a 3rd gen is going to be interesting. I plan to keep AC and power steering pump. I've got the accessories on driver side compacted enough to not interfere with anything but got to get compressor fit, but need to mock motor in place 1st. Then figure best place to mount twins.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
My turbo merge pipe is Y shaped, and the two pipes that connect to it are both U shaped, the U allows the pipe to grow in length and the bend keeps things from cracking.
Pics ?

Jon Peters

66 tempest 3880 lbs with driver
455 .40 over, 6x, XE274H cam, th350,9 inch 3.89, 275/50/15 mt dr
13.04 et / 102.51 mph 11.97 et/ 113.68 mph w/150shot

75 Astre
Turbocharged OHC 6, TH350
1/8 mile stats 8.4813 ET / 82.07 MPH
Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Thanks!. Are you and your beast going to make Norwalk?

I was looking through my resources for hot side examples. Fitting twins in a 3rd gen is going to be interesting. I plan to keep AC and power steering pump. I've got the accessories on driver side compacted enough to not interfere with anything but got to get compressor fit, but need to mock motor in place 1st. Then figure best place to mount twins.
Maybe.
Nursing a broken leg and foot at the moment. Need a test and tune before then, otherwise I think I might just be a spectator.

Sounds like you are making some progress finally, which means you are feeling better!!

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!