Old 05-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Leaky Qjet

My 68 has developed a very slight hesitation lately and I raised the hood yesterday to check for anything amiss , like a vacuum hose off or cracked. What I saw was a very bad fuel leak where the fuel line screws into the front of the carb. It's hard to tell if the big nut that screws directly into carb or the smaller nut that screws into the bigger nut. Fuel is running off of both of them at a pretty good clip. I have put two new gaskets on the big one and it hasn't helped a thing, that's why I think it may be the smaller one. When I was at the parts store I noticed they had a tube of thread sealent that was not affected by gas[supposed not to be]. I don't want to put anything on the threads that could find its way into the carb and gum something up. It almost appears that one of the nuts may be cracked. Cliff rebuilt the carb about three years ago and it has been perfect , so I don't want to mess up his excellent work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

1968 GTO Numbers matching 400 H.O. 4-speed 3:55
1964 T-Bird 46,000 Actual Mile
1928 Model A
2009 Lexus
1981 Dodge D-100
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
19631/2 Ford Galaxie Fastback
Old 05-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Don't use thread sealant...the small nut into the bigger filter housing is double flare, so it seals that way. the other i THINK is tapered pipe thread. Try taking the fuel line nut out, snugging up the large filter housing into the carb, then re-attach the line and see how it goes. If cliff rebuilt it, at least you know the housing doesn't have stripped threads!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever you do, fix it before you drive it at all. A leak at that very spot is exactly how I lost my first GTO. Just went to make a quick run until I could get it fixed and it caught on fire.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:56 AM
Suspended

Unscrew the line which is the little nut from the big nut all the way & inspect the line itself to make sure it isn't cracked, (the line that is), & if not just snug the big nut down again & then tighten up the line as they can come loose.There should be a very thin clear or white plastic gasket on the front of the big nut. Make sure it is on the end of the big nut that goes into the carb itself. If that thin o-ring type gasket is not in there it will leak.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default and

always use 2 wrenches when tightening the fuel line to the fitting..

holding the big wrench in place/still while you snug up the line fitting ....

scott

Old 05-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I did everthing suggested and leak was still there. So, I wrapped a small piece of teflon tape around the threads on the small nut and started the car for about one minute, not a drop. I put new gas line and replaced the large round gasket, took the teflon tape off and she is fixed. Cliff told me not to use any tape on the threads, but I only ran it for a minute just to see if the small nut was the problem and it was. All is well now.

1928 Model A
2009 Lexus
1981 Dodge D-100
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, what you have to remember is that with a compression fitting, if the fluid is getting TO the threads, that is a leak. You may want to take a look at the double flare on the end of the line to make sure it's not damaged. The flare is what keeps the fluid out of the threads and is what makes the entire seal.
Definitely keep an eye on it.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Greg, I will definitely keep a check on it. I drove the car today for the first time since I got the leak stopped. The hesitation is completely gone now. Thanks, Mike

1928 Model A
2009 Lexus
1981 Dodge D-100