Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What tubing with Oil Pressure gauge

Wanted to change my plastic mechanical oil pressure gauge tubing to something more reliable. What's best? Copper tubing with compression fittings, or is there something even better?
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go with the copper , make a loop @ both ends like a slinky for movement .

Old 04-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Copper doesn't melt if it bumps the exhaust system. Plastic will be a big smoking messy problem in an instant. Your choice.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced my plastic one with copper. I saw a guy with a woven steel one at a show. That's what I may do if I do it again.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use 3/16" double flared steel brake lines. The double flare should seal up to 2000 PSI and steel won't work harden from vibration as copper does. Work hardening makes the material brittle and subject to cracking from constant vibration. The larger 3/16" ID also reacts very quickly when the pressure changes. It may be overkill, but all the vibration a dirt race car sees I've never had any issues.

A double flare fitting is superior to a compression fitting for sealing with out loosening. Compression fittings brass farrells pinch the softer copper tubing causing leaks occasionally also.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 04-29-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good question. I bought the copper line kit then thought naaa. So I bought the braided stainless kit. So now I've got both kits on the shelf and the nylon stuff is still in the car.. (No where near exhaust)

sirrotica you're saying you have steel brake line routed from your sender to your dash guage? Wow I'm trying to get my head around that. Steel line doesn't work harden?

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 04-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have nylon now, will go copper soon, like this week.

I had the plastic tubing split behind the dash once in my 73 Formula. I saw it gurgling up at the speaker grill. What a mess!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No steel line doesn't work harden, that's why it's used for brake lines. Copper used to be used as a replacement on brake lines years ago until it was found it work hardens and cracks.

I use a pre fab brake line with the ends already flared and fittings installed available in various lengths at all parts stores. It is malleable so it can be bent to fit whatever application it needs to be same as brake line can be bent to fit a chassis. I insulated it with slit vacuum line where it goes through the firewall. I've seen nylon melt, and copper leak at compression fittings because it is softer than the brass farrell.

It may be overkill, but I never worry about it leaking or burning through because of exhaust or a fire in the engine bay (it does happen occasionally in a race car)

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-30-2015, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Routed properly, there's nothing wrong with the nylon tubing supplied with the gauge. Well, I'm hoping that cheap-junk Chinese tubing is still satisfactory. My experience has been with the plastic tubing supplied with name-brand gauges from decades past.

The important part is "routed properly". Any plumbing--steel, copper, or nylon tubing, or "steel braided" hose--is going to need to be properly secured, allowances made for engine shake including chassis deflection under load, and prevented from chafing or abrading on absolutely anything like sharp sheetmetal, rough or sharp castings, etc.

I've used nylon tubing for years 'n' years with zero problems. I also had an oil leak onto the carpet of my Toronado because I got stupid with the routing, and the stuff got cut on a sheetmetal bracket that it vibrated against. Dumb, obvious, and easily preventable--if I had paid attention.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I personally dont like any oil line inside my car, I leave it under the hood and monitor it at the times the hood is up which seems like always. One can listen and usually the lifters start clackin if oil pressure goes south. FWIW

Old 04-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use this

http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...yword=atm-3229

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 05-01-2015, 02:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have nylon tubing in the Cruiser and no problems. Only oil line failure I ever had was the stainless -4AN line in the drag car. Stainless hose has a rubber inner liner that definitely has a limited lifespan, and the stainless outer layer hides the condition of the rubber. Replacement was a stainless hose with a Teflon liner.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugslyx234 View Post
I personally dont like any oil line inside my car, I leave it under the hood and monitor it at the times the hood is up which seems like always. One can listen and usually the lifters start clackin if oil pressure goes south. FWIW
By the time you hear it its to late!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
I have nylon tubing in the Cruiser and no problems. Only oil line failure I ever had was the stainless -4AN line in the drag car. Stainless hose has a rubber inner liner that definitely has a limited lifespan, and the stainless outer layer hides the condition of the rubber. Replacement was a stainless hose with a Teflon liner.
Curious, how old/young was that stainless/rubber line?

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know some guys slide rubber vacuum hose over the copper for shock and wear resistance also.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was over 16 years old, just one of those things I didn't think about going bad.

My drag car has the water temp and oil pressure gauges on the cowl outside the windshield, and it was a fine mist that let me know the stainless oil pressure hose had reached the end of its life. I suspect a hairline crack in the liner finally went deep enough, but at least it didn't rupture. I also had stainless feed and return fuel hose and after the oil line problem, replaced those with aluminum tubing feed line and nylon braided return line. It's been another eight years, and the -10AN nylon braided blue return hose is starting to show hairline cracks in the outer layer, but at least it is letting me know it is aging.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stainless steel tubing and compression fittings is the way i went, have it at work though so its easy to get for me.

https://www.swagelok.com/

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
It was over 16 years old, just one of those things I didn't think about going bad.

My drag car has the water temp and oil pressure gauges on the cowl outside the windshield, and it was a fine mist that let me know the stainless oil pressure hose had reached the end of its life. I suspect a hairline crack in the liner finally went deep enough, but at least it didn't rupture. I also had stainless feed and return fuel hose and after the oil line problem, replaced those with aluminum tubing feed line and nylon braided return line. It's been another eight years, and the -10AN nylon braided blue return hose is starting to show hairline cracks in the outer layer, but at least it is letting me know it is aging.
Good info, thanks

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had good luck with electric oil gauges on several vehicles. Both Autometer and Sun... Response is very good compared to an Autometer(Sport Comp) mechanical and a few off brand I tested quite awhile ago. An old 70's Sun mechanical was slowest...had a very small entry orifice.
Easy hook up and only possible leak is at the sender... like any wired accesory protect wires from getting damaged with proper routing, grommets, sleeves etc..

Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 AM

The 1/8" copper tubing is fine for what you're doing.

Had it on my daily driver 455 plumbed into an Autometer gauge for 5 years and 30K miles and never an issue.