The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Help!

How in the heck do you get enough rearward pressure and downward pressure on the rear seat bottom to get it to snap into place? It needs to move probably a half inch back and a quarter inch down to latch and I can't even get more than an eighth out of it.
I had this same problem with my '74 TA and actually never did get it back in place. Was still loose when I sold it. I even used a pry bar to try to leverage it into place.
I can recall as a teen my friends and I removing rear seat bottoms to add rear speakers and such and I don't recall us having any real problem getting them back.
This is holding me up and I'd like to move on.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rear seat can be a real bear but I've always managed to get them clipped in.

If you reach under there you should be able to feel the wire that latches into the retainer on the floorpan. Make sure that wire is lined up properly or no amount of pushing will get it to drop in place. If it just won't go, maybe bend the wire down and back a bit?

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Personally...

I'm fat enough to be able to sit on it and push rearward. I have done it using my legs facing rearward but that is much easier with the front seats removed. Also have gotten on my knees facing rearward and pushed with my arms but putting my shoulder into it. I'v also tweaked the brackets to make them more conducive to latching. Anyway...good luck.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've leaned my back into the open door hinge jamb area, while extending my leg along the side of the front seat. Using the heel of my foot against the lower rim of the seat frame, sometimes I can extend my leg enough to force the seat frame back and get it to catch.
Switch sides and do the same.
Hard as I've tried, I've never been able to cuss one into place.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the process of installing the entire interior so the front seats are out already. You guys have confirmed what I guess I really knew. It just has to be muscled into place. I guess I'm being a little wussie with it because it's all new and/or newly dyed material. I might find something heavy to put on top for downforce and put my back into the doorjamb while pushing rearward with my foot.
Might even think of a way to use a scissor jack and piece of lumber maybe?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GOT IT!!!
A big screwdriver and a little crowbar did the trick by putting back and down pressure directly on the spring at the latch.
Thanks guys.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default oh by the way

you forgot to bolt in the seat belts first !!

just kidding

Scott

Old 04-10-2015, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem doing mine, lots of knee pressure and rocking got it all in. It really is a matter of just finding the perfect sweet spot for it to snap right in, the last 3 cars I've had to do once I found where the seat wanted to snap in it was easy to do (not that it was easy to FIND where it wanted to go...).

I had the front seats in my '69 when I did it last...

Old 04-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, I found that after all the straining and strong-arming I did to get it snapped in, technique is what really got the job done. I guess that's what you are saying Ben.
Thanks again guys. Door panels, console and front seats are practially all that's left. I do need to dye the console to match the newly dyed lid but not much to go now.