Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just an Idea.. A blog link for each part

Don't know if this really feasible but I think it would really cool if each part sold in your catalogs had its own blog link where end user customers could write their own reviews on the fit finish. Having the ability to post pictures would be nice too. I'm thinking how Amazon has feedback on their products. You can rate the product based 1-5 stars and do a Q/A and post your comments.

I realize with aftermarket parts it a bit of a hit miss game. Expectations also play a large part. I usually spend way to much time looking at parts comparing pricing and searching the archives on what others have to say about it. I really hate having to send parts back. I hate even more if I bought a part for assembly but didn't get to use until years later and then can't send it back.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Really good idea. The problem to overcome is the same as the problems we have to overcome here on the forums, ebay, Amazon etc. Users tend to go out of their way to post a complaint. And when they do, it's usually quite an unreasonable and frustration motivated review. 'This product sucks! do not buy' (1 star). They are also not as likely to post a positive review without a proactive effort on the part of the seller to initiate replies.

However, it's still a great idea. We have recently added this feature on our Pypes website and feel it will be very valuable. Hopefully the Ames crew can figure out a way to add it.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably no way around the negativity, except with others also posting their feedback. Even with products that has low rating its still informative for the end users on what to expect. I always like the descriptions that Ames used in their catalogs. I never got a bad part from them when I restored my firebird.

I know there are many times when the same product is made by different manufactures, I don't always need the best depending on what vehicle it goes on. Like PUI and Legendary seat covers.

some examples over the years where I think feed back would benefited.

The convertible top lines I purchased were too long. They were a generic one size fits all. I made some calls to the manufacture and found out that correct lines were made but Ames had never purchased any form them. I did let Ames know.

Purchased fender antenna from one vendor. It was really cheap one not very good quality. I ended up damaging it and ordered another from Ames and it was very nice. It already had in the description that it was not 100% correct but I was very happy with it.

Purchase a rubber bumper kit from Classic and it was for a camaro and did not have all the parts I needed. Go one from Ames and it was right one the money. That was when I started making all my purchases form them.

Purchased some Moog springs that must have been labeled wrong and must have went to a tank. They had so much tension that even with the engine in it would not come off the bumpers. It took so long on the restoration I was not able to send them back.

The sweeps for the 64 tempest and I think GTO too generally suck but they are the only game in town. With some digging in the archives there are tweeks to make them work better.

So in some cases maybe I want to avoid the part and look for a good used, but in other cases maybe it would be just fine with me even if I need to tweek it to fit.