Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-02-2015, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a number for the Firebird Trans Am with W62 Aero package @ 0.29 CD.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
was a joke dude. A joke. Let it go.

I suppose the 68 Bird has a Reynolds number near 2 million....
Maybe at one time if we were talking Burt Reynolds, Mark. (His Money)
Think he is not doing so well today. he owed over 1 million so the bank took his florida ranch and made the property into a school.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO View Post
I wouldn't know anything about 170MPH....yet
KO you have a PM

Old 02-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer View Post
@170 mph it is worth around .06 and 1.5-2mph comparing a first gen f-body to a late model.
I would agree , but thats just the aero part of CD. And that just helps make my point to the clowns that think they can do a better job of figuring hp from MPH vs a dyno.

What about the drag/ efficiency of everything else? Trans , converter, rear end, superwamidyne bearings, brake drag, rotating weight on the wheels, alignment And so on.......

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 02-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
What about the drag/ efficiency of everything else? Trans , converter, rear end, superwamidyne bearings, brake drag, rotating weight on the wheels, alignment And so on.......
Thats what seperates the winners from the whiners...

Old 02-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the car thru the air can be closely compared to Ballistic coefficient the rest of the stuff on the car is contributing to the coefficient of drag--- I remember taking my drive train
out of the old Willy's and put in the Fire Bird -- it was about 4 to 5 mph

Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As one of the clowns in question, I would say one of the largest mistakes that I have seen novices make is to ignore an engines ability or inability to accelerate in order to find a horsepower number on the dyno. Most dyno's don't measure acceleration, but what do I know??? I'm just a clown who figures real world horsepower by a vehicles mph, or is the clown the person who ignores this intangible?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
the car thru the air can be closely compared to Ballistic coefficient the rest of the stuff on the car is contributing to the coefficient of drag--- I remember taking my drive train
out of the old Willy's and put in the Fire Bird -- it was about 4 to 5 mph
Total HP to move a vehicle thru the air comes from 3 basic areas:

1) The parasitic loss from the vehicle moving thru the air (The Frontal Area and the Boundary layer thickness around the vehicle (as well as external objects attached to the body). To find a close approximation of the frontal area you use a special machine that takes a snapshot of the vehicle (from the front) and then calculates millions of 1 mm squares amd basically adds them up for a total area. The tire shadow exposed (looking from the front) as well as any exposed chassis parts are also included in the area count.

2) Then you have the parasitic loss from the Driveline. That can be measures using very special torque meters attached to the individual wheels. This number would include bearings, gear mesh friction, losses from drag with parts moving thru lubricants, etc.

3) Lastly you have Tire Rolling Resistance, which is a function of the tire material, the contact patch with the ground surface, and the deflection of the tire as it rolls.

Add them all up and you get a 3 term equation that describes THAT SPECIFIC VEHICLE.

So most of the BS out there with the calculators is really a crude swag based on many runs that are an average of an assumed HP vs the weight of the vehicle and the assumed HP to move the vehicle thru the air.

I have done Aero testing at Lockheed's Full Sized Wind Tunnel in Georgia, I have done Parasitic Loss testing at Fords Allen Park Test Labs, I have done Rolling Resistance testing on Ford's 67" drum rig at Building #5 in the Research & Engineering Center.

So I know a little bit more than the average guy. But I did not come up with the tests.
Aero Engineers, Tire Engineers, and Driveline Engineers came up with the tests. They are the experts. Just saying.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a lot of good information in post 67 and 68...

Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

then again from looking at Langers avatar--- we are forgetting to take into account " rear bumper drag "

Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HHmmmmm
I forgot what the hell this post was about.

GT.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Senior Chief

I've never seen an engine make less HP and accelerate on the track better.

I hear about it. I read about it. But I've never made more power on a given engine, and had the car go slower.... Ever. Can't say there wasn't changes required in the set up, converter, gearing etc... But its always faster in the end, with more HP. Speaking to averages, not a peak number.

I've seen instances say, with a carb too big, makes more power on the dyno but on track its off, but its easily identified as a fuel metering issue, not simply due to size alone like a smaller size just seems natural to accelerate better.... No.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had deals that have not performed as expected, Everyone has, instead of looking for something else to blame and believing solely in the flowbench or dyno, I let it eat at me until I figured out why I failed, and learned some of my best lessons by doing so...

Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Uratchko View Post
I've never seen an engine make less HP and accelerate on the track better.

I hear about it. I read about it. But I've never made more power on a given engine, and had the car go slower.... Ever. Can't say there wasn't changes required in the set up, converter, gearing etc... But its always faster in the end, with more HP. Speaking to averages, not a peak number.

I've seen instances say, with a carb too big, makes more power on the dyno but on track its off, but its easily identified as a fuel metering issue, not simply due to size alone like a smaller size just seems natural to accelerate better.... No.
I have seen it...

Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

Another instance, where I've read it.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

and Chris yours is surely not the only time I've heard someone say they haven't seen it... Just because someone has not yet seen something sure doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

Agreed

Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barton View Post
As one of the clowns in question, I would say one of the largest mistakes that I have seen novices make is to ignore an engines ability or inability to accelerate in order to find a horsepower number on the dyno. Most dyno's don't measure acceleration, but what do I know??? I'm just a clown who figures real world horsepower by a vehicles mph, or is the clown the person who ignores this intangible?
If you pay attention to the average power across the engines "useful" power curve I do not think you will find yourself in that situation, chasing peak power numbers alone , sure.

So you figure "real world hp" from a vehicles mph. Can you share how you factor all the different variables and different forms of drag applicable from vehicle to vehicle?

Also how do you do you differentiate horsepower that will not accelerate the vehicle vs horsepower that will? Again I think it should show up in the average. but what do i know im just a novice right.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 02-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This should be obvious but we are not running 18 wheelers at 300 mph... simply put I would say experience is key.