Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Senior Chief

Your car sounds very similar to mine currently. Those Rhoads must really calm that 60919 down...

We also have the same taste in vacuum gauges. Ha! Mine pulls almost exactly the same vacuum as yours.

How much of a difference was there going from the 2802 to the 60919? You used rhoads and 1.65 rockers with both?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a huge difference between the 2 cams. I think the 60919 makes power a few revs higher, but feels like it makes a bit more up there too. I run a stock type converter, so I really havent taken full advantage of it yet. Cliff also told me if I was making less than 9.5:1 compression I would be better off with the 60243. Im right at the 9.5:1 cut off. I think he said that the 60919 would be even better closer to 10:1 compression, but Im not confident enough with my tuning skills yet to try that with iron heads down here in Florida.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Senior Chief

Any idea what your cranking compression is?

I'm .030 over on mine, and the piston actually is an RCH out of the block on mine because they align honed the block way back when. I know there is variance of chamber size on 96s. When I ran mine through a calculator using my measurements and assuming a 96cc chamber I got 9.7:1 static.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry I dont remember the cranking compression. It has been a while since ive even messed with the car at all. Im .30 over on mine too. But from what I have read many of the 96 heads are even into the 100cc+ on the chamber size, so its a guess for me at best. Thats something I really want to do before I finish the build this time. It is the only variable I dont really know right now. Im zero decked.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I logged in to PY tonight with the intention of asking this exact same question, although I'm running slightly different equipment. I believe I have higher aspirations for power levels... I'm looking to get more competitive/serious at the track, while maintaining streetability.

I've been debating several weeks now between replacing my 6X (mild-ported) heads with aluminum heads, or changing up the cam package on my 467. Lot of $$$ to upgrade to aluminum heads. And then there's the dilemma of deciding on which heads. And then you want to get a good set of headers to go along with whichever port you decide on... ugh.

Decisions decisions...

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 01-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt you may want to look into a power adder as well. Roots/procharger/turbo/nitrous. Seems like they arent much more than new heads but add more like 100-150hp up. Some claim to even double their hp. Worth a read anyway.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacMatt72 View Post
I logged in to PY tonight with the intention of asking this exact same question, although I'm running slightly different equipment. I believe I have higher aspirations for power levels... I'm looking to get more competitive/serious at the track, while maintaining streetability.

I've been debating several weeks now between replacing my 6X (mild-ported) heads with aluminum heads, or changing up the cam package on my 467. Lot of $$$ to upgrade to aluminum heads. And then there's the dilemma of deciding on which heads. And then you want to get a good set of headers to go along with whichever port you decide on... ugh.

Decisions decisions...
What is the lift on that cam?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 AM
Suspended

Allow me to be the bad influence.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oooooooh! Nice!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Not really, Mr. Marshal woohoo's engine is much nicer. He applied the laws of overkill and I applied the laws of just kill and get it over with.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks sexy to me!

Im curious, does anyone know the flow numbers of a stock 87cc Edelbrock?

Old 02-01-2015, 03:35 AM
Suspended

Hot Rod mag did a write-up on the 87cc round port CNC version with out of the box flow benching numbers. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...r-pontiac-v-8/

The 72cc version flows a little better.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I used the 72cc heads & gained about 10cfm over the 87's.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Wow great feedback guys. Thats why I love this place! I guess I should have mentioned the bottom end. As far as I know and or remember, it is all stock bottom with if I remember right, Eagle pistons. I simply cant remember what was in it. It was built when I bought it used 8-10 years ago. I spun a rod bearing in it and had it freshened up, but that was probably 6-7 years ago.
Steve: thats good info. I actually was thinking about dumping the headers and going back to logs, but now that the thought of aluminum heads is in the mix, I really should stick with headers. Hate the thought of springing $700-$800 on some Dougs, but I may have to at this point.

Shaker, I cant decide on what color to do at this point. I had my mind made up on Palmetto green. Then thought I would just do reef which was stock for my Tempest. But man, there is something about black on black with the dog dish caps that does it for me. Even though I always told myself I would never again own a damn black car. But it most likely will end up Palmetto and parchment. Also I think I have everything to do a GTO clone while im at it. I do want to keep it an automatic, but id like to have a console. Looking at options there too. Might just make my own.

I should mention, as I said, I work at a restoration shop. There is another kid working there that has a nice solid (but needing restored) 69 Chevelle with a 396 4 speed. The boss man was at Mecum all week! So we threw a new clutch in his that has needed done to drive for a while, and went out and ran them around. It was fun to know I could eat him alive. He was not happy! Always bragging about it etc... Its about as hopped up as mine is too. cam, intake, headers....etc... So I would really almost rather leave iron heads on it to continue pissing him off, but aluminum heads seem natural.

Although after realizing what the actual cost of getting aluminum heads done complete ready to bolt on, running some boost almost sounds more logical. HP per dollar that is. I love turbos, but I dont know that im up for all that fab work. I work real hard there and I dont have much zip left after a 50 hour work week. I wanted to have a look at Pdudes procharger set up, but it seems there isnt a website anymore. That seems like it would be less set up, but surely less gain as well. And im sure more costly than fabbing my own turbo set up.
Sounds like your a candidate for NOS....anything else you do is going to hurt your pocket book BIG time

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to get my engine pulled here pretty soon and do some measuring to see what heads I can actually use. Im pretty sure the builder told me it was zero decked, but at this point its been so long I really dont rememer for sure. I dont know that I would be able to use 72cc heads on mine. And it is 99% a streeet car. Im beginning to wonder if I should do some rotating assembly upgrades first. Get a forged crank, H or I beams, and some good Ross pistons. But 2 grand for a rotating assemble, 2 grand for heads, 2 grand fro a trans...etc...etc...
But I have to admit, thinking about that is kind of making me wonder if I need to do that, as well as some new heads, and I already need a new trans......maybe I should look into an LS swap. Or maybe just leave well enough alone.

Like you said, at this point, im looking at some big bucks to move forward. I wouldnt be opposed to some NOS. That seems like the most affordable route. But im a big fan of turbo/turbo's too. I guess I will know more once im able to verify some things.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Sr View Post
Hot Rod mag did a write-up on the 87cc round port CNC version with out of the box flow benching numbers. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...r-pontiac-v-8/

The 72cc version flows a little better.
Thanks for that link. I will have a read!