THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Dealer 08-357 in Ohio?

I received my PHS documentation today (no window stickers, they aren't being produced right now) and the dealer is listed as Zone 08, dealer 357. I've checked the lists referenced throughout the forums, and haven't found anything. Does anyone have any idea who the dealer is? I believe it should be in the Youngstown area.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What model year is your car? My Dad's dealership in Niles, OH was 08-352. The Wallace Racing query does not list 08-357, could it be a 2? My dad owned the dealership from '67-'77
http://www.wallaceracing.com/dealer-search.htm

Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 AM

The car's a 1967 GTO, the number 08-357 is from the PHS documentation. I agree, I haven't found 08-357 on the sites like wallace racing. I emailed PHS to see if they could tell me anything, we'll see if they respond.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Heard back from PHS. 08-357 was Valley Pontiac in Youngstown, Ohio. Specifically, the address apparently was 4111 Elm Rd, Warren, OH 44483

Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 PM

Actually it was on Wick avenue,in Youngstown. I believe Wilt Pontiac was in Warren or Nles, and there was another in the area that I cannot remember right this minute.. O wait...it as Trotter Pontiac,in Niles. If you followed Market street thru downtown Youngstown going north the street name turned into Wick avenue. There were about six dealerships along there in the sixties and seventies,till the steelmills laid off. Eventually they all died out or moved.I worked at Valley Pontiac/Toyota from 1976 till 1979...Aahhh the good old days...lol

Old 01-22-2015, 05:36 PM

Thanks JimsSixtySix - I don't know how I didn't see that reply before now. I eventually did see some posts about the "Wick Six" referencing the dealerships that were clustered together there. I was curious as to whether I could find any pictures of the dealership, but never did.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Longs, if you'd like a window sticker for your 67 GTO, please send me an e-mail. I have the correct form for the 1967's (not the form PHS uses), and I include the dealer code information outside the perimeter border on the window sticker to be authentic and accurate.

http://www.musclecarfilms.com/PontiacWindowSticker.html

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Ultimate GTO website also has a list of dealers, and codes.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsSixtySix View Post
Actually it was on Wick avenue,in Youngstown. I believe Wilt Pontiac was in Warren or Nles, and there was another in the area that I cannot remember right this minute.. O wait...it as Trotter Pontiac,in Niles. If you followed Market street thru downtown Youngstown going north the street name turned into Wick avenue. There were about six dealerships along there in the sixties and seventies,till the steelmills laid off. Eventually they all died out or moved.I worked at Valley Pontiac/Toyota from 1976 till 1979...Aahhh the good old days...lol
Not Wilt Pontiac. 08-396,
The dealer 08-357 was Valley Pontiac Company 1075 Wick Avenue Youngstown, OH. 44505.
The Owners were Gary L. Tinkham and A. J. Wheeler. This dealer was also a Toyota Dealer in the same facility.

How do I know, I was the Pontiac Parts & Service Manager for District 4 Cleveland Zone and called on the dealer for several years back in the late 70's.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Duplicate post

Last edited by Nomadac; 01-24-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadac View Post
67 to July 87, starting in Cleveland Zone, then assigned to Central Office PMD doing Warranty Audits in Pontiac, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Atlanta and Jacksonville Zones, then assigned to Jacksonville Zone and lastly to Charlotte Zone.
Was Jake Sweeney Pontiac on Vine Street in Cincinnati still in business then? I lived there then, and as I recall, Jake had some kind of troubles and wound up as a Chevrolet dealer a few years later.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Was Jake Sweeney Pontiac on Vine Street in Cincinnati still in business then? I lived there then, and as I recall, Jake had some kind of troubles and wound up as a Chevrolet dealer a few years later.
I believe he was, but I do not recall anything about this as that was back in the late 70,s and I was transferred to Jacksonville Zone in Dec. 1979 (36 years ago) I barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday, LOL.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Wow , small world ,I had a conversation via e-mails with "rt400" about the parts dept. at Valley, and a particular character named Dan Mooga . I haven't heard the Tinkham ,or Wheeler name in quite a while , Knew them both , just as in passing. Too bad about all those dealerships , a lotta iron went out those doors.