67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was wrong about the 4D being for a Camaro rear bar,it is 4P. The 1967 Z24 SS 427 option code is 4D in a few of the Chevy plants.Too many many cars around my place, I start mixing things together.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear ya.

The CRG stuff on the radius rods is interesting. Curious (to me) that the actual UOIT wording for all of the 4K, 4L, & 4N codes CRG has associated with the use of radius rods only says "ENGINE REINF ASY" and I would guess, same verbiage for the 4P if they ever find a record of the 4P code description from a document found in a car. If the critical component was the provision for the radius rod, seems to me a different wording would have made more sense, such as "RR SUSP REINF ASSY".

Interesting that Q would be the next letter in the alphabetical sequence for Group 4 but no apparent association with the installation of radius rods in the Firebird. Then again, code letter assignment within the Group never was given any apparent organization, rhyme, or reason.

Somebody here surely must know if all '67 Firebird Body Assemblies were built with the provisions for one or both radius rods whether the build included them or not. Including the 6 cyl builds.

If so, then no reason for Fisher to code for them. And if they did code for them, would seem the code would be a LOT more common than it appears to be, while the conventional spare option likely was pretty uncommon, accounting for why the 4Q is a rarely seen code.

What happened to Peje? Curious to know if he has rechecked the code on the Data Plate.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

The CRG stuff on the radius rods is interesting. Curious (to me) that the actual UOIT wording for all of the 4K, 4L, & 4N codes CRG has associated with the use of radius rods only says "ENGINE REINF ASY" and I would guess, same verbiage for the 4P if they ever find a record of the 4P code description from a document found in a car. If the critical component was the provision for the radius rod, seems to me a different wording would have made more sense, such as "RR SUSP REINF ASSY".

Interesting that Q would be the next letter in the alphabetical sequence for Group 4 but no apparent association with the installation of radius rods in the Firebird. Then again, code letter assignment within the Group never was given any apparent organization, rhyme, or reason.
I can state with authority that sometimes the engineering specifications person will grab a Functional Name (or RPO) that's kinda close but that already exists, rather than taking the time to create a new name that is a better fit or more appropriate.

Or - just make a bad choice. That happens too.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I hear ya.

Somebody here surely must know if all '67 Firebird Body Assemblies were built with the provisions for one or both radius rods whether the build included them or not. Including the 6 cyl builds.

If so, then no reason for Fisher to code for them. And if they did code for them, would seem the code would be a LOT more common than it appears to be, while the conventional spare option likely was pretty uncommon, accounting for why the 4Q is a rarely seen code.

What happened to Peje? Curious to know if he has rechecked the code on the Data Plate.
Hi! The Firebird is not mine,it belongs to a member on the Swedish Pontiac Forum.
I still have my 1969 GTO Conv.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 AM

Default Another 67 Bird with 4D

I checked my birds today. I also have a 67 with 4D on the trim tag. It originally was a 6 cylinder car with a 4 speed. I couldn't find any details on the net for this either. I have not pulled the PHS on the car as it is beyond restoring, but it will make a great parts car for one of my projects. Hopefully somebody will have the answer.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool!

Can you post s pic of the cowl tag?
(and PHS if you have it)

This could be related to the radius rod.
The 6 cyl normally would not have the radius rod(s), but being a manual trans, it would have one rod.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates