Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Default 1973 TA White Letter Radial?

Larry's old red SD is ready for tires. According to the PHS it was originally delivered with GR70x15 WL - I see Kelsey Tire has the Good/Year Steel-Gard available but my understanding is that it's correct for 1974 and not '73. My white '73 reads GR70WW so the '73 WL thing is new to me......any idea's as to the make of '73 radial white letter? Did they even make into production that year?

Old 12-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would have had the infamous, recalled, Firestone 500 Steel Radials. In the mid-1970's many people lost their lives when these tires exploded without warning. Firestone eventually recalled them after the Feds became involved. The scandal was so bad Firestone eventually sold out to Bridgestone becoming Bridgstone/Firestone, as a result of the loss of revenue and lawsuits.

My car still has three of its five original 500's (two exploded), and I found two NOS tires off of 1973 Corvette spares.

Go to my thread and you will see a bunch of info on the tire (and my car).

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=736345&page=7

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...736345&page=10

The 1973 version of the tire has the white "F" shield logo. In 1974 the logo became a black embossed one instead. Best of luck finding five of them.

P.S. NEVER DRIVE ON THEM, USE THEM FOR DISPLAY ONLY!

Last edited by njsteve; 12-19-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my 73 vette came with them and after reading all about them I pulled them off and put some goodyear polysteels on it.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
my 73 vette came with them and after reading all about them I pulled them off and put some goodyear polysteels on it.
The Polysteels are AWESOME period tires......still made in America...by Goodyear.....

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!