THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default HMM GTO JUDGE

Just got my new Hemmings Muscle Machines today and there is an article on a very nicely done '69 Judge. I like the whole package the way he did it. Anybody on here own that car??

Old 11-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Not mine but enjoyed the article, the Tri-Power carb base insulator install to prevent heat-soak and Joe Oldham's apology for being so critical against the then new 1974 GTO in his May 1974 CARS magazine article.

So, that's (3) directly related Pontiac items in HMM which is why I've continued reading since day 1 as a charter subscriber.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Not mine but enjoyed the article, the Tri-Power carb base insulator install to prevent heat-soak and Joe Oldham's apology for being so critical against the then new 1974 GTO in his May 1974 CARS magazine article.

So, that's (3) directly related Pontiac items in HMM which is why I've continued reading since day 1 as a charter subscriber.
I subscribe to HMM for those reasons as well. Lots of Buick and Olds stuff as well. The carburetor insulators are a very good idea. I installed one years ago on my Qjet. It completely eliminated the carburetor hot soak problem that I only seemed to get when they started putting ethanol in the gas.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have it but I keep a strict "read them as they arrive" policy in the......ah, library. It's next.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:14 PM

Default It's mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Just got my new Hemmings Muscle Machines today and there is an article on a very nicely done '69 Judge. I like the whole package the way he did it. Anybody on here own that car??
Thanks, it was my first Pontiac build. I love the way the car came out. Need to give this forum alot of credit for advice and ideas. Thanks to all. Finished the car last spring after picking it up in the fall of 09. I have a Collision shop, but when I started my business over 25 years ago all I did was resto paint work. I still love doing them, just not alot of time to work them in. My Judge project was interrupted by the purchase of my own building and subsequent moving of my business. Then a friend needed paint and body on a project I couldn't turn down, (especially for an Olds fan) for those of you familiar with the Olds "Fouranado". It has been featured in 2 Hemmings issues.
Enjoying taking the Judge out even more now that I don't need the AC.

1969 Judge 4sp w/AC
1969 Hurst Olds
1970 Olds 442 W30 4sp (next project)
1968 RS Camaro
Old 11-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by th442 View Post
Thanks, it was my first Pontiac build. I love the way the car came out. Need to give this forum alot of credit for advice and ideas. Thanks to all. Finished the car last spring after picking it up in the fall of 09. I have a Collision shop, but when I started my business over 25 years ago all I did was resto paint work. I still love doing them, just not alot of time to work them in. My Judge project was interrupted by the purchase of my own building and subsequent moving of my business. Then a friend needed paint and body on a project I couldn't turn down, (especially for an Olds fan) for those of you familiar with the Olds "Fouranado". It has been featured in 2 Hemmings issues.
Great work on that Judge. I love it. That Olds "Fouranado" is a great one as well. Nice work on both. Thanks for the response. I like giving the "thumbs up" to great talent.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I look forward to seeing your judge and meeting you at some point. I see the photos in the article were taken up here in Scottsdale…do you come up here for any events, cruise ins etc?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:47 PM

Beautiful car. In my opinion it's the best of both worlds, it appears all original, yet you have the power of the stroker, the convenience of the 5 speed and the comfort of the AC. It's a car I would look forward to driving all the time.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

I just picked up that mag on the weekend and of course that article was my first read. You've done a beautiful job and it's good to see you're driving and enjoying it. Pretty neat mod hiding the a/c clutch cycling switch, a far better control than the POA valve. Just wondering where you managed to find some R12? Wish there were a few more interior pictures, I was hoping to spot your hidden speakers! Very Nice

Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I see your next project is a 70 w30 442. Please post up progress so I don't have to join an Olds forum. Those cars are awesome. My most royal spanking on the street came in the 80's from a 70 442 w30 'vert while cruising Cedar and Pennsylvania Streets one night in Lansing, MI. My Formula got embarassed! But I still love those cars.

And then I'll have an excuse to road trip down to Tucson and see it in person.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just read the article on the judge. Sweet car. I do have to question the published power output. 9.5-1 compression, a mild 224/230 Hyd roller cam, RAIII exhaust manifolds. The article says it has 450 hp and 525 lb ft of torque. "At the tires".

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 12-07-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
In case you missed it, there's also a Hemmings "Driving Impression: 1969 GTO Judge Ram Air III 4-speed" blog report on this OP topic - Todd Hoods' Goat. Link below:
Quote:
By Jeff Koch Note: I write up driving impressions of virtually every car I photograph, within a couple of days of the drive, so everything is fresh in my memory. Occasionally, because of the constraints of format, the prepared text doesn’t run. Now, thanks to the joys of the blogosphere, it can.

- See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2....OJbBhKTf.dpuf

Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link, lots of comments for that article too.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
Thanks for the link, lots of comments for that article too.
Thanks for the mention on the link comments, I hadn't read them until just now. Pretty funny stuff, especially the "disc brakes were standard on Judges" etc. usual comments.*

* Most seem to forget (if they ever knew) that the original plan for The Judge package was to be a direct competition model for the stripped down Plymouth Road Runner - that had taken a chunk out of GTO sales in '68 IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong, seems most '69 Judges were ordered "loaded" w options out pricing their intended "budget" category...like a 4-drum manual brake/steering, bench seat, no option Road Runner wo radio or heater

* I remember a Hemmings Muscle Machines issue with a Red 1970 Judge equipped w 4-drum brakes and a few other options - that was featured and owned by contributing writer Jim McGowan - that was a reminder of a low option Judge as built by Pontiac.
* I could be wrong (again!)
BTT - was good to read the Todd Hood comment on the Hemmings Blog reminding all of what his was/is and what he started with. On the car & comments I say: Job well done sir!