73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 73 header question?

making a laundry list of projects for the 73 GTO this winter (along with a xmas list), and headers or manifold is on the list. Car came with a nice exhaust system, but just up to standard manifolds.

Header experience on my 66 & 67 4spd A-body was not all that pretty, so i ended up installing the RA manifolds, which i was really happy with. My initial 461 build will be just fine with the RA's, but as I start stepping into the 500hp range, full length headers will be better.

Does anyone here have experience installing headers in a 73 a-body? Doug's always get a nod of approval, anything else?

BTW, this is originally a 3spd car but will be converting to a TH400

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have hedmann hustlers o port on mine for a 2nd gen firebird. don't hang down too low, and installation isn't bad, just have to put then in before you put the motor in.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:04 AM

I put a set of summit headers on one of my 73's and its not too bad to put them in the car, but getting to all the bolts can be a PITA... I had to remove the oil filter adapter and the passenger side slid in easily from below. The driver side was a little tougher to make fit but wasnt too bad to get in the car. The only real problem I ran into was the linkage for the column shift auto hit the header and made it hard to shift between N, D, and S. I ended up pulling the header and bending the one tube slightly for more room and bending the shift linkage to curve around the header. Other than that. just trying to get to all the header bolts.