Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 PM

Default soundproofing "feedback"

Been looking at Dynamat, Fatmat, Damplifier to reduce outside noise. Anyone have any opinions or experience, tips, tricks? Want to install in rear cabin (under back seat, inside rear panels) to lower exhaust noise inside..

Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend installed Frost King from Lowes. Was about $20 per roll, took two rolls to due the whole car. '67 GTO. Made a huge difference. His car is MUCH tighter/more quiet than mine, which has the stock tarpaper on the floor. Keeps the heat out, too. Looked at Dynamat and Fatmat, but couldn't justify spending 10 times the money to do the same job.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
A friend installed Frost King from Lowes. Was about $20 per roll, took two rolls to due the whole car. '67 GTO. Made a huge difference. His car is MUCH tighter/more quiet than mine, which has the stock tarpaper on the floor. Keeps the heat out, too. Looked at Dynamat and Fatmat, but couldn't justify spending 10 times the money to do the same job.
Thank you - I will check into this! I know Frost King has a plant not too far from me too..

Old 11-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the eastwood stuff. very user friendly. I sealed the seams with aluminum tape and used a small metal roller to push it onto the surface. Used a screen roller to get it into the corners. Cut a piece to size before peeling the back off.

For prep, I made sure all areas were free of rust. fresh primer. rustoleum paint and wiped down with grease and wax remover.

I did floor pans, all the way up behind the back seat, inside the doors and quarter window areas. huge difference in lack of road noise.

I have heard some stuff can drip if applied to the rood of a coupe and you live in an area that gets hot. I have the convertible so not an issue for me.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Isn't it true that those things can trap moisture and cause rust? I saw an article on the web where someone pulled up the dynomat after a year and the floor was all corroded

Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 PM

As long as the material you are using is rubber-butyl based you will have good results. The stuff from Lowe's works, but there's a reason the rubber-butyl based sound deadeners designed specifically for automotive use are so much more expensive. I used Fatmat in my 79 Silverado and it works very well. Will be using the same stuff in my 70 GTO once I finish body work.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used RAAMat and RAAMat Ensolite on the interior floors and doors/sidewalls and ceiling of my Formula to reduce vibrations/resonance. No scientific way for me to say how much it helped but as I installed it, I could bang on the floors with my hand before and after and tell the difference. It also kills the resonance of the metal in the doors so they close with more of a dead thud like newer cars. http://www.raamaudio.com/

Old 11-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Thanks - real good info here, now know to keep a real close eye on surfaces esp floors for rust and pretreat better than I would have.