67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Gas tank question

Can a dented gas tank throw off the gas gauge? I would fill the gas tank in my 69 firebird and it would show full on the gauge, but I would shut it off after driving it and then it would show 1/2 tank. Any ideas what this could be? The tank has a dent it it too.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 11-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemansman View Post
Can a dented gas tank throw off the gas gauge? I would fill the gas tank in my 69 firebird and it would show full on the gauge, but I would shut it off after driving it and then it would show 1/2 tank. Any ideas what this could be? The tank has a dent it it too.
How big? Are we talking about small hail ding type dent, or does it look like Big Foot Kicked it?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The sender could be bad. Did it work before the "dent" ? how big of a "dent" I think its doubtful a dent would alter the reading. Tank sender grounded well?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
How big? Are we talking about small hail ding type dent, or does it look like Big Foot Kicked it?
The dent was in it when I bought it. I had the sending unit taken out and tested which it worked along with the gauge.as for a dent yeah it looks like Bigfoot kicked it in.

1969 firebird
Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 PM

Hmm, well, if it reads the level, and the dent is huge and in the bottom, the fluid would read higher as there is less space inside.

If anyone doubt's, take a soda bottle or water bottole or milk jug. Turn it on its side. (Make sure air can escape)Create a large dent in the bottom. Watch the fluid level rise.

Wonder if I someone tried to jack it up there

Old 11-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A good body shop should be able to pull that dent out (mostly) but new tanks are cheap enough. If it was out to check the sender, it would have been easy to replace it or get the dent out then.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it go back to full (or a little under) when you turn the key back on again or did I not understand the question correctly?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Does it go back to full (or a little under) when you turn the key back on again or did I not understand the question correctly?
it fluctuates. I would fill the tank then drive for a bit and it would still say full. I would park it and shut it off. Then when I go to drive it again the gauge would change and it would say half tank or sometimes even quarter of a tank. I would of fixed the dent before when I had the sending unit out and testing it but the sending unit was tested with the gauge and a meter. The sending unit works fine so I think but the gauge is still not reading correct.

1969 firebird
Old 11-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would clean the sending unit ground wire and where it connects to the body. Then unplug the unit in the trunk area and use an ohmmeter to see what the readings are (0-90). If you move the sending wires around and you get no reading change, there may be a pinched wire (or mouse chewed), bad connection or gauge itself.
Float may be sinking or sticking on sending unit.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
I would clean the sending unit ground wire and where it connects to the body. Then unplug the unit in the trunk area and use an ohmmeter to see what the readings are (0-90). If you move the sending wires around and you get no reading change, there may be a pinched wire (or mouse chewed), bad connection or gauge itself.
Float may be sinking or sticking on sending unit.
I will check it out. Thanks for the help.

1969 firebird
Old 11-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

do the 68's work on resistance the same way the earlier cars do? If so, I'd think less gas = less resistance = lower reading.

As for how much it really effects things, I've dented up the 22.5 gallon gas tank on my jeep despite skid plates and it has not made a noticeable difference in capacity - and I run it VERY low on a regular basis (no flaming me please, at 12MPG, I stretch my fill ups out as much as possible).

469, M21, 3.42