Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Wink Deck lid latch.

Can anyone please tell me if the deck lid latch should be body color. Got banged at the nationals, judge said should be body color! Saw many 65 gtos not body color.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...NK+LATCH+PAINT

Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

To add to the posts the deck /trunk lids where on the shell when painted if you pull an original car apart the metal the surfaces where the deck lid and hinges touch are natural / bare metal.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 10-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When GTOAA judged my '64 at the Dayton Co-Vention in 2013, the judges could not agree whether the trunk latch (stationary and deck lid latch) should be painted or not. After quite a lot of discussion they agreed to disagree and didn't dock me.

They also were not sure whether the fuel door hinges should be body color or natural. Mine are body color, but only where spray hit the springs when the door is closed. When open, overspray is visible on the hinges.

My stationary latch is body color and the deck lid latch is bare metal. It seems to me that the trunk lock mechanism would have been installed after the lid was painted, which means the lock retainer would be unpainted also (on a '64-see picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Trunk and Gas Door 005.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	378466   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Trunk and Gas Door 006.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	378467   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Trunk and Gas Door 007.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	378468  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Smile Deck lid latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
When GTOAA judged my '64 at the Dayton Co-Vention in 2013, the judges could not agree whether the trunk latch (stationary and deck lid latch) should be painted or not. After quite a lot of discussion they agreed to disagree and didn't dock me.

They also were not sure whether the fuel door hinges should be body color or natural. Mine are body color, but only where spray hit the springs when the door is closed. When open, overspray is visible on the hinges.

My stationary latch is body color and the deck lid latch is bare metal. It seems to me that the trunk lock mechanism would have been installed after the lid was painted, which means the lock retainer would be unpainted also (on a '64-see picture)
Thank you dick for the info and the pics, I talked to Jim Mott gtoaa judge, he said 65 should be body color!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Senior Chief

Start reading from post #19 on......
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=759278

My 1965 is original and was not painted from the factory....