Old 09-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Default 66 Bonneville - engine very slow to turn over when starting...

Guys,

I have a 66 Bonneville with a 389. Believe it or not, it's my daily driver. I'm having trouble with it. Here are the details:

- Brand new battery (x2)
- When starting, the starter really seems to drag down and turn over slowly
- Factory ammeter shows battery is charging when driving
- Immediately after driving, I connect battery to my Battery Tender, and the charger gives me a red light (meaning the battery needs charged).

Does it sound like I just need to replace the starter? Possibly some sort of alternator problem (which seems odd, since the meter in the car shows it's charging normally)? Or???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

John Thomas

Last edited by jntmjt1; 09-30-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bad grounds will make it crank slowly, check and make sure the main ones in the engine bay are clean.

Take a voltage meter and see if you are getting ~14.5 at the battery while running.

How old are your battery cables?

My experience with starters is they either work or they don't. (I am no expert, however, but I will say I have replaced starters when something else was the problem.)

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have gotten a bad battery. I would have that checked first. That certainly sounds like a potential culprit especially with the gauge showing charge. If stored on the concrete etc. they can be bad when you get them.

Other than that, I would check the cables and cable ends (large ones to the battery and the wires going to the starter) if they have not been replaced this could be it and as was said ALL the grounds and ground connections. These are the most common issues.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since the battery has been changed twice (and assuming it is not to small)
Put the battery on charge overnight and see if it cranks normally
Yes = Charging system problem

No = starting problem

IF no check the cables make sure you have clean connections at the starter, battery, and the neg ground battery cable where it connects to the block (it is going to the block not the frame, right?)

If that is good then you most likely have a starter issue. If a turn in the field coil is shorted the starter will work but needs about twice the current. That is too much load on the battery and they crank slow.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW