Old 09-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Unhappy rear axle seal removal

I had one of my axle bearings go bad, so while I have a local shop pressing on the new bearings, I'm tackling the oils seals myself. I was able to reverse the arms on one of my gear pullers, and hook it up to my slide hammer. The first seal came out with 2-3 minutes of wacking. The other side has been more of a pain in the a**. I've been wacking at it for several hours (on and off), and it hasn't appeared to move at all. I've tried grabbing it with a vise grips and giving it a side load/twist, and then reinstalled the slide hammer for some additional wacking. It's almost like it's glued in. Has anyone tackled a difficult axle seal, like this?

--- Jay

Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a special seal removal tool made by Blue Point that is shaped like an L with a handle at right angles to the stem. The L is on one end (for hammering against) and the other end has a hook to grab the seal. It's about 10" long. Works like a champ. A slide hammer will work wonders, too. Usually, I get them out using the axle itself....insert the axle just past the seal and smartly push down on it, while pulling. This almost always pops the seal right out.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks Jeff! About 10 minutes after I posted, I managed to loosen it enough with a cold chisel to get it out with the slide hammer.

--- Jay