Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Senior Chief

Default Cast valve covers and roller rockers

Any one running these short covers with the thick 5/16 gasket and clearing a set of 1.5 roller rockers?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	374179

Thanks Stu

Old 08-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

I'm not sure how similar they are in height (they look pretty close), but I have a set of factory covers with 1.65 prw SS rockers and a thick gasket. I had to replace the poly locks with something shorter however.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had to add a spacer to clear.

You might be able to get away with two gaskets glued together, but that creates it's own problems.......

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those valve covers are cast thick, and the roof is lower than the exterior height would suggest. That, and the casting is really thick around the bolt hole indentations. We've had to use aluminum spacers and grind the corners of the HS rockers next to the indentations to get things to clear when the covers were used on a set of Kaufman heads.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info. I'm running stock sheet metal now with 5/16 and clearing some 1.5 rocker but looking for something a little nicer, but nothing to much flashy

Old 11-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back from the dead. Could any of you guys that have used these give me a measurement of their height? I’m wondering if they’re shorter than the M/T covers I currently have.
I’m wanting to install A/C on my wife’s car and would like all the clearance I can get.

Thanks in advance
Murg

Old 11-17-2021, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I researched the crud out of this. Those covers are a crap shoot with roller lifters. It depends on the lifter, how tall the poly-lock is etc.

I will say however that I have a set of the Finned "Holley" valve covers that are identical to those M/T valve covers. Height wise, those tend to be fine, however because they slant inward from the base to the top, they will rub the edges of the roller rockers, typically at or near full valve lift. They will contact more greatly at the 1, 2, 7 and 8 cylinders. That was my experience with them and my HS 1.5 rockers.

Ultimately went with fabricated covers from Butler.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=JLMounce;6295806]I researched the crud out of this. Those covers are a crap shoot with roller lifters. It depends on the lifter, how tall the poly-lock is etc.

I will say however that I have a set of the Finned "Holley" valve covers that are identical to those M/T valve covers. Height wise, those tend to be fine, however because they slant inward from the base to the top, they will rub the edges of the roller rockers, typically at or near full valve lift. They will contact more greatly at the 1, 2, 7 and 8 cylinders. That was my experience with them and my HS 1.5 rockers.

Ultimately went with fabricated covers from Butler.[/QUOTE

Thanks but would you know how tall they are on the outside?

Murf

Old 11-17-2021, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

The Butler fabricated valve covers?

They are 3.5" outside diameter. They do just barely fit under the stock wiper motor in my 1969 Firebird (arguably the tightest fit). They can't however be install directly. You have to roll them from the intake side of the head over the covers and under the wiper motor. I had the intake off to do this, but I think it would still be possible with the intake on, but carb off.

My vintage finned Holley VC's were right at 2.75" inside diameter.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was wanting to know how tall they were on the outside but it sounds like they’re not much / any shorter than the M / T covers. Trying to gain room for A/C compressor. Thanks for your help!

Murf

Old 11-18-2021, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are the same height as stock outside but shallower inside. I used to have the GMPP version and ran Comp roller tip rockers with Crane Cool Nuts with no problem. If you like the covers, just go with a roller tip rocker.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
They are the same height as stock outside but shallower inside. I used to have the GMPP version and ran Comp roller tip rockers with Crane Cool Nuts with no problem. If you like the covers, just go with a roller tip rocker.
Thanks, it’s a little late for that. I’ve already had the motor together & not really want to change it. Just messing around with adding A/C and looking for a little more clearance for the compressor. I think I’m going to have to look elsewhere for a solution. I borrowed a compressor for a trial fit & didn’t have a lot of room for adjustment. I don’t have it here now that I tweaked the brackets. It may not be has bad as I’m thinking. Anyway, thanks again for the reply!

Murf

Old 11-18-2021, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Murf, What engine combo did you put together???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-18-2021, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Jeff, It’s the engine that’s in the yellow convertible. Been together for a long time. Just playing with putting A/C on it.

It’s a 462 shortblock I had in my Firebird years ago. Ported 6X heads Ram Air manifolds, stock intake with a worked over Q jet. Comp 230-236 roller now with Rhoads lifter with Randy’s plate system.

I hope your doing well & have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Murf

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are really thick around the bolt bosses and some rockers hit there. Most SS roller rockers are thinner there. for my Crower shaft system I had to use a spacer just for the height.

I bought some a couple of years ago form Ames and even though they have cast either made in USA or CA the box had Made in Tiawan and the aluminum is not as nice and the bolt holes were a hair off.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Those are really thick around the bolt bosses and some rockers hit there. Most SS roller rockers are thinner there. for my Crower shaft system I had to use a spacer just for the height.

I bought some a couple of years ago form Ames and even though they have cast either made in USA or CA the box had Made in Tiawan and the aluminum is not as nice and the bolt holes were a hair off.
Yes they are thick around the bolts. I went in with my sewer cam & looked around. I know you have to get the covers just right or the rockers hit the bolt bosses.

Seems like I have quite a bit of room overhead. I have a homemade spacer & a slightly thick gasket. I’m gonna have to mess around & see what room I can pick up for the compressor. I’m not above doing a little grinding on the valve cover if I have to. I need to get a compressor back here to mock up. I borrowed one but took it back. The guy may sell it but I won’t know for a week.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Murf

Old 11-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Senior Chief

sometimes cast covers have a decent amount of core shift. I had one set on a non pontiac application that required milling to clear some very meaty valvesprings. Nobody thinks to check it until the damn cover wont slide into position well enough to start the bolts!

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 11-19-2021, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a set of these covers on a E-head 467 with H/S 1.5 rollers & they clear with just the thick cork felpro gaskets. as stated above they do need to be centered or located on the head just right to avoid slight touching in 1 or 2 areas but thats easy to feel when you are ready to bolt them down & im sure a very little grinding on the bolt bosses would help with that. but mine fit ok with no spacers, just the thick gaskets. otherwise they are stock height externally & should fit any accessories like A/C just as well as stock stamped covers.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:20 AM
Senior Chief

I am.... 5/16" cork gasket. H/S 1.5 roller rockers KRE heads.....
I also have A/C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0207.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	578347  

Old 11-22-2021, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be a good idea to set the valve covers in place with no gasket and measure the actual distance from cover to head. While a new thick gasket will have the cover clear the rockers, the second or third tightening of the bolts as the cork shrinks might produce contact. Usually the later chrome covers contact the polylock and the worse that happens is you don't get any more compression on the gasket, but the slope of the cast aluminum might just have the rocker hitting the cover on subsequent tightening's.