Old 07-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default On to the radio speakers

First off I can fix any telecom system but I know nothing about electonics for radios. Just needing a little advice.

I had the AM radio converted to a AM/FM + RCA connections.

The instructions state use 4 ohm speakers.

I bought two single speakers to replace the front speaker from our host(RPZ183A). They are rated at 4 ohms.

I then bought 2, 6x9 JBL GTO938, they were advertised as 4 ohms, however once I receive them it states they are 2 ohm each. 2+2=4 I guess, thats what on the outside of the box.

Anyway, I hooked them up and they sound ok I guess.

Will I damage anything with an impedance mismatch.

Any advise is appreciated as always.

67 Nova
64 Nova
Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't crank up the volume full blast they should be ok. Maybe over time they'll crap out but you should be good for now. Tho others will probably have more and better info than me.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you hook them up in series or parallel? Parallel would result in 1 ohm impedance which could damage your output stage.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

all 4 are connected to there own 4 ohm channel output.

67 Nova
64 Nova
Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Senior Chief

The 2 ohm speaker will draw twice the current that a 4 ohm speaker would draw. Since your amp is rated for a 4 ohm load, it will likely not be able to provide the current that the 2 ohm speaker would draw at higher volume levels, depending on how much headroom is designed into the amp. If you only operate the system at mid to low volume levels (as GT182 said), where you are not exceeding the current capacity of the amp, all will be fine, but it would be hard to know exactly where this volume level is without measuring the voltage output of the amp. Extended playing at high volumes will likely distort and sound poor, and possibly damage the amp. You would be able to get the most from your system by changing to 4 ohm speakers. Seems like the store should offer you an exchange if the box was labeled incorrectly.

psw

Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Acording to JBL's website it should be ok with a 4 Ohm head unit. You probably would need to use a superior brand or an extra amp to be on the safe side.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro.../GTO938_JBL_US

Quote:
Can be safely driven by any head unit
The GTO938 is compatible with aftermarket head units and factory-installed systems. Designed as replacements for factory-installed OEM speakers, the GTO938 is easily installed into nearly any factory-built 6-by-9-inch location.

True 4-ohm topology performance
For the most powerful performance, the GTO938 makes the best use of any amplifier by providing an optimum 2-ohm load. It uses a lower-impedance voice coil than a typical speaker to extract the most possible power and performance from all amplifiers engineered to drive loads of 4 ohms or less.