Old 06-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Factory exhaust manifold gaskets ?

Seems that my 1965 GTO and my 1967 Firebird 400 (both original untouched cars) do not have any exhaust manifold gaskets from the factory.
Does anyone have any info on this?
did Pontiac ever use them, If so, what year did they start using them?
THANKS
John

Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are talking about a 'doughnut' between the manifold and the headpipe, Pontiac never used those on 65 GTO's. However there should be a thin metal gasket between the head and the exhaust manifold.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been into Pontiacs for years. Even worked for Pontiac in the 70's. Never saw a "Pontiac" V8 without the steel shim manifold gaskets.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Been into Pontiacs for years. Even worked for Pontiac in the 70's. Never saw a "Pontiac" V8 without the steel shim manifold gaskets.
I have always seen the thin metal gaskets with the rib that is designed to crush and fill any small void for a complete seal.

Below is a pic of a 39,000 Original mile 65 GTO that I have outlined this thin gasket hanging out the front edge of manifold and the second outline shows the shadow of this gasket going from port to port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO Survivor 39,000 Miles.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	366552  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John, please clarify, like Jerry H. I'm thinking you must be asking about an exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe gasket.

The exhaust manifold to cylinder head gasket was always used.

There was a p/n change, not sure how exactly the physical appearance changed. From time to time you might find NOS examples on ebay with pix of what the older and newer p/ns looked like.

From '59 thru '64, the '59 p/n 532020 was used, including for the half a V8 Tempest 4.

For '65 and up into the '70s, the '65 p/n 9780358 was used.

I'm pretty sure you'd be plagued with exhaust leakage if those gaskets were not used.

I think the theory for NOT using a gasket at the exhaust manifold outlet to the exhaust pipe inlet was that the inlet would sorta conform to the outlet when the clamp was drawn tight, effecting a sufficient seal. I suspect the thin wall of the pipe would allow the manifold outlet to "self-seal" this way.