Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Default 1962-Some wheel and tire help

Hoping someone can help me to identify the tire and wheel size on this car (Both front and rear). I'm trying to duplicate this look on my '62. I know that the wheels are "new" Radirs and the rear tires are by Hurst but I cant identify the size. Anyone know this car personally? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1962-pontiac.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	366049  

Old 06-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the car but not sure what they put on it when it was restored.There was a article in one of the pontiac mags last year.Will try and find it.Tom

Old 06-04-2014, 11:41 PM

Thanks Tom. I've tried to enlarge the pictures on the web as large as I can get them and the rears seem to be capped on 235/75r15 but Hurst does a number of different widths on that casing. The front tires I still have no clue. Thanks again for anything you can find out.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure if it helps, but 8.55 x 14 pie-crust-edge sidewall bias ply hides would have been the optional tire for a non-A/C '62. Originally they would most likely have been by US Royal. Coker makes a BF Goodrich in lots of sizes... http://www.cokertire.com/search/sort.../48?q=goodrich

Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 PM

I'm still up in the air as to how Radirs would look on my Bonneville. I've considered going with 855-14 Goodrichs on the front and 8" cheaters on the back but I keep telling myself its a Bonneville not a Cat. The car has 42k one owner miles and is very original right down to the plug wires so I'm very hesitant to screw anything up. Wheels and tires can be swapped rather easily so I didn't think it would be doing any harm. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	366144  

Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

Personally, I think Radirs would look good if you had more of a Cal custom look. Same goes for more period correct aftermarket wheels (Cragar S/S, etc).

I've looked into a few different wheel/tyre combos for my '62 Bonneville (Vista HT) and I keep coming back to widening my original steel wheels or running 17-in or 18-in Wheel Vintique steel wheels or Rallye copies.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post I agree that the wheels and tires can easily be swapped, but...

It's a personal choice (take my viewpoint with a grain of sand) but my position is in line with the "It's a Bonneville, not a Catalina" point of view. To that end, a super original, relatively garden-variety (4 bbl, bench seat, column-shift automatic) Bonneville wearing mag wheels on it is like wearing a tuxedo and expensive running shoes.

But this is YOUR DarkSider - personalize it, make it YOURS, and drive the wheels off it!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:30 AM

I agree with Engine-Ear, but I think chrome steelies, astro supremes or radir tri ribs on a set of 225/70/15 narrow ww tires would look extremely kool and give your Bonnie a nice period kustom look.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:01 PM

"tuxedo and expensive running shoes"- That explains my concern to a tee. I'm not looking for the lowrider look or the super duty Catalina style either but 14" hubcaps just don't do anything for me. I kinda figured that I will always have the factory wheels and caps to swap back on or run something a little different from time to time. Haven't seen one with chrome steelies but it sounds like it might be cool. I appreciate all your input.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just do the right thing and do 8 lugs!Nothing else is as good IMO.Tom

Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Just do the right thing and do 8 lugs!Nothing else is as good IMO.Tom
Amen Brotha!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Senior Chief

This Bonne is owned by my mate (i bought his parts car and am restoring it)