Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Default More wiring issues 68 GTO

Finishing up my 68 GTO restoration-have new harnesses installed however I do not have brake lights or a right turn signal-all new bulbs and a new brake light switch-not sure if there is an easy fix to these problems just asking for some suggestions

Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Do you have power to the brake light switch? You can jumper it to see if the brake lights come on. As for the turn signal it may be the switch itself. Look in the wiring diagram to see where the power comes in, what color wire, and then goes out, color wire, for the right signal.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a new brake light switch in my car which was defective immediately. Plugged the old one I got with the project and it worked fine.

Right turn signals in the front or the rear, or both? Is the relay clicking?

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The brake lights go through the turn signal switch to get to the rear of the car.
Check the white wire on the turn signal switch plug for power with the brake on. My hunch
would be that you don't have the turn signal switch plug completely plugged in i.e. the
plug is cocked and not making contact on the one end. That would kill both the turn signal
on one side and the brake lights. The way it works is the brake light power goes into the turn
switch through the white wire and exits through the dark green and yellow wires which go
to the bright filaments on the rear lights for both turn signal and brake light.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
The brake lights go through the turn signal switch to get to the rear of the car.
Check the white wire on the turn signal switch plug for power with the brake on. My hunch
would be that you don't have the turn signal switch plug completely plugged in i.e. the
plug is cocked and not making contact on the one end. That would kill both the turn signal
on one side and the brake lights. The way it works is the brake light power goes into the turn
switch through the white wire and exits through the dark green and yellow wires which go
to the bright filaments on the rear lights for both turn signal and brake light.
lucky guess...

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Amazing
Got under the dash today and looked at the plug and indeed it was cocked to one side
Now I do have a brake light on the driver side but neither the brake light or turn signal on the passenger side. The running lights are all functioning

Old 05-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the springs in the taillight housing get full of water and rust/give out, so the bulb no longer makes contact. Try turning your lights on and rotating the bulb so the contacts touch, and see if that makes them light. If so the springs are a likely culprit. I have new bulb sockets to install in mine.

LH one worked fine!

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:25 PM

If both the front a back parking lights are working on the passenger side and neither blinkers and or brake light works would both front and back sockets contacts have to have bad for that to happen or if one was an issue does it keep the other from working properly

Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to get a test light and test for power at the dark green wire
coming out of the turn signal switch plug when the right turn signal is flipped on. If
you don't have any power on the switch side of the plug with the turn signal on you have
a bad turn signal switch. If you have power at the turn signal switch dark green wire, go
to the trunk and probe the dark green wire at the connector next to the left trunk hinge.
If you don't have power there check the connection at the plug to the right of the fuse box.
If you do have power to the trunk plug, check for power on the dark green wire at the bulb socket.