Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Wireless Camera / Security System...Anyone?

Anyone buy one lately or have the research for one?

Whats' a good source for a complete turnkey system including: outdoor wireless cameras, night capability, recorder either sd or hard drive....mid level system, four to six cameras.

I saw a catalog recently in waiting room for a large security system mail order outfit that had a lot of Asian brand names I have never heard of.

Having the ability to check in on surveilled area via Skype or internet a plus also.

Do any outdoor wireless cameras operate on batteries?

Thanks....!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tekheavy (Evan) recommended Foscam brand (Foscam.us). So I purchased a wireless system from them and it works great. Can view my garage, etc. from laptop, IPhone, IPad, Android Tablet and Android phone (from anywhere, I tried them all lol). Range is very good too as I have my interior garage camera using wireless and it is at least 120 ft from router. Sends emails to me when detecting motion (can set sensitivity and what part of the image you may want to ignore) and will record to hard drive of PC (and memory card). I bought the kind that pan, tilt and zoom and all of that can be controlled via IPad, etc.. Very cool technology. Not sure about battery operated (especially for one's that have the pan, tilt feature) but the camera's work on dc (using ac adapter of course) and IIRC it's a 12vdc output from the adapter. Might be able to rig up something for an outdoor camera using battery if need be.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks NYTRAINER for the info.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a Uniden system for my church a few months ago. Seems to work fine. I believe the part number is 955.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 AM

X2 on the Foscam Cameras. I also used a Mi Casa Verde based Z-wave wireless system to make my own self monitoring alarm system for the garage and house

2017 Jeep Trackhawk
2017 GTS Viper
1958 Plymouth Fury. CHRISTINE.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Thieves can be very smart. After all the goal is to get paid without much work, so intelligence can help you work less in that effort. So think about not being able to ID the intruder with most cameras after an event, especially at night because they will wear hoodies to conceal their ID on video. You'll be like toms who saw someone stealing his outdoor TV on the recording, but can't prove it was his low life neighbor. The thing that will prevent theft is being able to react quickly to the intrusion, and deter it.

Think about adding battery operated motion activated security lights too. So if the power goes out, the light will still "instant on" because it works off of rechargeable batteries. If it's a non-powered locale you should be able to add a little solar panel, use lower wattage lights with shorter duration ON time to work enough to alert an intruder (and you).

For IR night lighting consider using add on illuminators instead of the built in camera with IR light circle around the lens. Spiders can build a web overnight around an IR light rendering the camera useless. Plus the stand alone IR lights are usually 100 times better at throwing light. You can get flood and spot illumination from them.

There is probably still a long running post on AR15 (probably) in the home security forum by thegreyman which will give you more information than you could ever consume about this subject.

Another item mentioned in security is the Dakota Alert motion sensors. They are wireless, expandable and the bases can activate devices by relay for a specified time duration. You can have one in one area with a distinct tone from another in a different area. There are wireless pocket sized bases too that will sound the tone to alert or just vibrate.

Last edited by PonchoV8; 04-12-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
Tekheavy (Evan) recommended Foscam brand (Foscam.us). So I purchased a wireless system from them and it works great. Can view my garage, etc. from laptop, IPhone, IPad, Android Tablet and Android phone (from anywhere, I tried them all lol). Range is very good too as I have my interior garage camera using wireless and it is at least 120 ft from router. Sends emails to me when detecting motion (can set sensitivity and what part of the image you may want to ignore) and will record to hard drive of PC (and memory card). I bought the kind that pan, tilt and zoom and all of that can be controlled via IPad, etc.. Very cool technology. Not sure about battery operated (especially for one's that have the pan, tilt feature) but the camera's work on dc (using ac adapter of course) and IIRC it's a 12vdc output from the adapter. Might be able to rig up something for an outdoor camera using battery if need be.
Hey Dave, just saw this. Glad I could help. I actually have one of these cameras outside by my front door. It has 2-way audio also. If someone is at my door and I'm not home, It sends me a text message and I can have a conversation with the person over my smartphone thru the same app I use to monitor my cameras. Pretty cool technology and at a very reasonable price.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

If You want something wireless that can be put just about anywhere and locked via cable and padlock that sends out pictures via Your Cell Phone and/or Computer/Internet check out the misc Trail Cameras on the following Site just to get an idea plus You can use it for Wildlife and Deer.
Most require a SIM card and only an additional $10.00 fee from Your phone company.Ones that send a picture to a Web Site will cost a little more.

www.chasingame.com