Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NorCal machine shop recommendations

While not in reference to my Pontiac, I figured someone here might be able to help with a machine shop question for another project of mine.

When not restoring/working on my 1978 Trans Am, I'm performing a concours restoration on my 1960 Ford F-100 (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...uction-12.html). Can anyone recommend a reputable machine shop in the Sacramento, Roseville, Vacaville, Fairfield areas of northern California to which I can send my 292 Y-block for its first machining since at the Ford factory in 1960?

I have no problem finding a machine shop in these areas, but I'm looking for someone who has extensive experience with Y-blocks in particular and comes recommended by someone here who may have employed said shop in the past. As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll ask a friend this weekend who he uses for his motor work. Send me and email because I will probably forget. My email is bobman58ya@yahoo.com

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 05-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Suspended

In your place I would inquire with Mike Lewis, but he is about 3 hours drive from you.
Not sure about his Y-block history, but he is very experienced in general, well equipped and a super nice guy!

http://www.lewisracingengines.com/

Old 05-03-2014, 08:48 PM

I live in Sacto and go to San Jose for Performance Machine. Ask for the owner Vic.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

Dave's Machine in Newark, CA has a good reputation. He did my 455 short block. They do everything there, hone plate, heads, etc. Dave's daughter Angela does the head work.

Joe

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a couple of recommendations for LBs in San Ramon. The guy I talked to said he thought any decent machine shop should be able to handle machine work on a Yblock. He did give me the contact info for his engine builder in Vacaville if you need that? Not sure if he does his own machine work of just builds. You could probably call him and inquire. Send me an email if you need the info.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 AM
Senior Chief

Elby's is in Dublin, and have been there a long time and have a good rep also. They fixed my 6x heads when I drilled out to much and got into a water passage. They sealed it up with marine epoxy and they run fine.

Joe

Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the recommendations. I plan to visit a couple shops recommended by both members of this forum and another forum I frequent within the following weeks. There's really nothing special about the Y-block with respect to machine work, but like our Pontiacs it's always preferred to work with someone with vast experience machining that particular make of engine, as they all have their own little quirks.