THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

Default Car hoarders (not the tv show)

Before I bought my Lemans, I spent a lot of time looking for a project vehicle. I met all kinds of crazies and saw quite a few car hoarders. I don't know what # you have to have to be considered a hoarder. Here's the 2 biggest I've seen near me.

This guy has a little of everything. From 40's-70's. He advertises every week in the local "trader". He wants top $$ for everything and they are all outside, sunk in the dirt. How he acquired all of them is debatable. He told me they were abandoned on his property by his car club friends. He told a friend of mine he bought them over the years at auctions in NJ. Yeah he is a bit of an eccentric.

This one is all Mopar. He's actually a pretty nice, friendly old fella. I heard from someone that you can just drive on up unannounced and he'll give you the grand tour. One day, my wife and I stopped over and thats just what he did. We spent about 2 1/2 hours there. He showed us every vehicle on his property. Aside from the rotting stuff outside, he has lots of stuff garaged and many of them are real nice. He said everything is for sale and gave me a couple of prices. I'm not a Mopar expert. I thought his prices were a little high, but definitely not unreasonable like a lot of people. He claims his father owned the local Dodge dealership years ago and they just bought cars over the years and never got rid of them. He gave me his business card, but I dont know if I still have it. Oh and the best part is he lives on Mopar Dr.

Last edited by b-man; 04-28-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: links removed
Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 PM

I don't mean to be a tool but it isn't cool to post links on an open board with exact details on where someone lives with satellite images of their yard and car collection.

I know you don't mean any harm, but I'd be ripped if someone posted details about my place and that I have cars Even if I'm not a hoarder(if I keep saying it enough, I'll actually believe it).

Old 04-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
I don't mean to be a tool but it isn't cool to post links on an open board with exact details on where someone lives with satellite images of their yard and car collection.

I know you don't mean any harm, but I'd be ripped if someone posted details about my place and that I have cars Even if I'm not a hoarder(if I keep saying it enough, I'll actually believe it).
My apologies. Didn't mean to invade anyone's privacy. I see my post has been "fixed".

Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many hoarders, if not most, enjoy aquiring the stuff, and deep down, don't want to sell it or fix it. It's the bragging rights of having. Most of the time, they die off and the estate gets liquidated at scrap prices by stressed out members of the family, who are overwhelmed at the amount of time and work needed to just sort through the stuff. I have seen many nice cars reduced to junk by happy hoarders who leave them out in the weather while their barn is full of old cardboard and wood scraps. Nuts.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefan71 View Post
My apologies. Didn't mean to invade anyone's privacy. I see my post has been "fixed".
Icefan71 - I didn't want to come off as a hard ass. I really appreciate you getting rid of the maps.

Hoarders are a funny bunch. It kills me to see cars like those rust out in the field. Thanks for sharing the stories.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sold a 69 GTO project to a guy a few years ago who had 93 cars. He had built a storage garage on his property to rent out but it was full of his own stuff so his wife would not see everything.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a Mopar guy near me that has about 15 cars down in the woods behind his house.. Only one in the front, a '67 GTX, and that's the one I'm sure people bug him about...at least until he put a No Trespassing sign right on the trunk lid..lol
The car has been sitting in his front yard for at least 20 years that I know of...and it's not more than 15 feet from the road. I think he likes to frustrate wannabe buyers.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
Icefan71 - I didn't want to come off as a hard ass. I really appreciate you getting rid of the maps.

Hoarders are a funny bunch. It kills me to see cars like those rust out in the field. Thanks for sharing the stories.
No worries, man. I'm not afraid to say I was wrong.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 AM

Would just pictures be cool?