Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Air Flapper Door Assembly

I was thinking about getting this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331156186...84.m1423.l2649
I have a 69 goat and have opened up the hood scoops.
How do the flappers attach and will it work on my scoops?
Any pics would be great.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use the pans but without the flappers unless you get the RA scoops. The flappers attach to the back of the scoops.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As boss said, you need the RA scoops, they're longer with more material to square off, and have ears on them to accept the flapper assembly. If you do get the RA scoops so you can bolt on the flappers, you'll also have to cut the bracing on your hood for clearance. If you plan on connecting the flappers to a control cable under the dash, you'll also need the upper pan unless you run a really long aftermarket control cable since the original was a two piece cable that jointed on the upper pan.

Only purpose for that setup was to close it during inclement weather. 68 ran full time open scoops with no flapper so no reason you can't on yours, just don't drive it during a thunderous downpour or through a locust swarm attack and you'll be fine.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In my opinion it's only worth getting the flapper assembly if your going to get the entire Ram Air system. Like was previously stated the only reason for the flapper is to be able to open/close the scoops from inside the car. If your going to do that then you might as well go all the way. Be careful, some of the Parts Place components are made offshore. There is a better U.S. made Ram Air system that you can get from Warpath Restorations.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default RAM AIR

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01363.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	360560

If you want it right, you have to go all the way.
PY might have a picture in the catalog on all the parts you need.
Or maybe,just open your scoops,and install a K&N pleated top filter for your carb.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like a lot of hard work, I was only considering being able to close off the intakes if caught out in the rain. I don't drive in the rain but did get caught last week-end.
Maybe I'll make some sorta plug that I can push into the opening to block if need be, something like a dense foam you can squash down and it will expand and hold in place....maybe.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post
Sounds like a lot of hard work, I was only considering being able to close off the intakes if caught out in the rain. I don't drive in the rain but did get caught last week-end.
Maybe I'll make some sorta plug that I can push into the opening to block if need be, something like a dense foam you can squash down and it will expand and hold in place....maybe.
1" styrofoam plugs cut to shape. There was a set on my car in the glove box, took me awhile to figure out why the previous owner had em in there!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM

I recall my brother's '69 RAIII Judge running better with the flappers open in the rain back in the mid '70s. Liked the water injection.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtos4ever View Post
I recall my brother's '69 RAIII Judge running better with the flappers open in the rain back in the mid '70s. Liked the water injection.
It will saturate the air filter & choke the car.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ozz
Mate the rain will not stop you . Drill some small holes in the air cleaner base pan at the back the drain and water is you are worried. Depending on your air cleaner set up original or after market. I have driven in some good rain with the GTO and never had a issue or even think there was one about to start and I am a sealed unit with openings from the hood.

Craig