Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Default year one 17's on my 66 gto.. should I do 8 all around

Did auto fair in Charlotte n.c. this week and have decided to put a set of 17's on my 66 . The rally II's from year one are my pick the but have to make a decision now on the rear 9's.. I
I feel like the 8's all around are really the way to go but thought I would see if anyone has used these on a 66.. Pulling the trigger tomorrow for free shipping.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw the display. The wheels look better in person than the pictures I had seen in the past.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do a search- I know I've seen pics of a couple of '66-'67s with the 17" Rally II here on PY.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I saw the display. The wheels look better in person than the pictures I had seen in the past.

Wheels look great in person. Only thing I don't like is the weight of them - the chinese, I think have over-engineered them. (I did not weight them). I swapped some 15" snowflakes/tires off of a car and put these on and I was impressed with how heavy they are. Some of that is the diff between 15 and 17", etc.

In person though, they look very, very good. The machined area between the spokes and lip looks great.

I can't help the OP on size. I've got 8's on the front and 9's on the back of my 76 TA.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM

I did some searching last nite and did come up with the pic on year one's web of a blue 67. I think they had 8's front and rear but yes I did like the look on the birds I have seen of the offsets.
I always said I was going to keep my car 90% original after changing the front brakes to disc but that was just because the drums just were not as safe to me (probably those who argue).. My convertible is a weekend driver and I just can not help but love the look of the larger wheels on these cars. I will have the others stacked up in the garage to swap when I need to.
I did look last nite and the free shipping is only on the package not the bare wheels . looks like I may have some extra caps and lugs as I think it will be a better deal to just pay a little more for them.
I will post some pics when mounted now have to get the tire sizes.
Hunter