Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 74 455 formula

I already had a thread about a 74 formula, but thought I better start this one to ask another question and give description in case anyone wants to call about it.

is it possible to fix or replace the torque box ( where the front of the rear leaf spring bolts into the body floor. both sides are gone on this car. besides that it could be fix with some effort. thought about buying since 74 455 formulas are fairly rare, but I think I will walk at this time.

okay, went and looked at the car yesterday. I'll do the good and the bad.
good: body not great but not bad, fenders, quarters, were okay for an Ohio car, need a little work, but do able. was a 455 auto car, car has been inside stored since approx late 1990's if I remember right.

bad: hood not bad but 2 vent pieces broken, someone welded in motor mounts from something else, my guess small block Chevy (motor was gone when he bought it), trunk has small amount of rust but a dozen or more holes drilled in it, (not sure what they were for, some small, a few 1/2inch or bigger), 75 front grills and valance, header is broken but fixable, booster is in the trunk ( I think someone ran a small block big cam and was worried so went with standard brakes). floors have some small holes that need fixed but workable I think. think it would be easier to replace at least the one door, other I think is fixable with very little work.

really bad: where the front of the rear leaf spring bolts to the body is junk (torque box?). driver side has at least a 1 1/2 x 4 inch hole at the mount point, the passenger side has a t least a 3 x 4 or 5 inch hole right at the mount. if you drove it, I would say, first bump you hit would send the passenger side thru the floor, might take a few more for the driver side to break, but not many.

he quoted 2,500 for the car, not sure if I offered less if he would take it or not, but with all the rust at the spring mounts I think I will walk, just more work than I want to get into at this time. Jim is his name, and seems like a nice guy, here is his phone number;419-230-7529. he has a 74 455 block at a machine shop being done, it IS NOT the block from the car, and a 400 turbo that IS NOT from the car. those come at an extra price, at first it was 5000.00 total for everything, but I was only interested in the body, which as I said he quoted 2,500. car is listed for sale on Racing Junk, located just west of Lima Ohio.