Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Spring Startup - Rapid start or crank it

I haven't started my car in about 4 months.

As I look forward to Spring am I better off disconnecting the coil wire and cranking the motor until I get oil pressure and then reconnect and start ( prime carb w/gas first )
OR
Should I just prime the carb w/gas and go for a rapid startup ?

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually just crank mine without touching the gas. Usually won't fire, and crank till u get oil pressure, this also helps to fill float bowl in carb with fuel.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you guys have a flat tappet cam I am opposed to needless cranking. I'm no expert but I would just start the car right up, just do not run up the rpm until it is warm. The worst that will happen is a ticking lifter until the oil works it's way through.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i agree needless cranking is a waste, after 5-10 seconds the oil pump has circulated oil to the bearings etc. prime the carb with some gas if the 5-10 sec of cranking didnt fill the lines, then fire it up. i do think getting it to 2000+ rpms ASAP is best however, since the cam lobes are splash lubed & they want oil ASAP, so waiting for it to be "warm" isnt needed & will require 5-10 minutes of idleing, which is the worst thing for an engine aside from initial cold startup.

fire it up, rev to 2000+ for 15-30 seconds, then shut it down after a couple minutes unless you plan to take it out for a drive. no need to idle it till warm or have it run for anymore than a couple minutes for first startups.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i agree needless cranking is a waste, after 5-10 seconds the oil pump has circulated oil to the bearings etc. prime the carb with some gas if the 5-10 sec of cranking didnt fill the lines, then fire it up. i do think getting it to 2000+ rpms ASAP is best however, since the cam lobes are splash lubed & they want oil ASAP, so waiting for it to be "warm" isnt needed & will require 5-10 minutes of idleing, which is the worst thing for an engine aside from initial cold startup.

fire it up, rev to 2000+ for 15-30 seconds, then shut it down after a couple minutes unless you plan to take it out for a drive. no need to idle it till warm or have it run for anymore than a couple minutes for first startups.
Absolutely....I should have been more specific. When I say not to run up the rpms I'm talking 3000rpm+ not fast idle. I always warm up at 1500+rpm because the Q-Jet choke/fast idle at start up.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

4 months isn't that much time....I just started mine, sat since November.

I spin the engine over,stop,tap the throttle a couple of times, spin it over a little more to see if it'll try to start...repeat, until the beast gets going...

I try not to spin the engine and pump it it at same time, that'll get it flooded. Some pump and crank at same time...sometimes it works, sometimes not...

The key (my opinion) is to pump the throttle only when the engine is stopped, allowing a fair amount of gas to be in the plenum, when you start cranking again. As soon as one cyl hits on the desirable amount, you know what to do from there...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I prime the carb with some gas, it will start on first revolution.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
If I prime the carb with some gas, it will start on first revolution.
that why i suggest to crank it briefly first, before priming. after a short crannking the lines & bowl may be full, if not prime with gas or do as trashcan mentioned & crank it again for a short time. 5-10 seconds max a couple times should be ok & not considered excessive.