Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Default Who makes correct arm rest pads?

Is anyone making a good repro of the arm rest pads for a 67 hardtop? Seems like these are impossible to get right at this point.

I bought a set from PY about 7 years ago and they are much taller and squarer than any of the originals I have and when compared to original photos of my car. They do not have smooth rounded edges and are too square. At the time, these seemed to be the best option. The arm rest bases were also significantly different than OEM. Ribbing was different thickness, dimensions were close, but not accurate.

Last week I saw Ames had a set of pads that in photos looked much more original so I ordered a set. They came last week and are terrible. The ends are wrinkled, shape is wrong, Parchment color seems way too gold/green compared to any sample I have and the car, etc.

So I guess the question is who is making the "best" arm rest pads at this point?

Thanks
Nick

Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the parchment pads for my '67 convertible 21 years ago from Year One. They still look like new, and the fit is perfect. Don't know about the new Chinese made stuff, only that repop parts have not gotten better lately.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about Legendary?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
What about Legendary?
That is the number 1 place to check.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Thanks. You would think most parts houses would be at least offering the best quality repro's they could find. Lately it seems to be the opposite.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Ordered a front and rear set from Legendary. Price was much higher, but honestly if they are correct it will be well worth it. Looks like a 1 month lead time due to the Parchment color. Thanks guys!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Bought a set in parchment for a 67 GTO from Ames. Sent them back. Bought a set from Legendary and they fit much better. You'll be happy.....

Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nick, I must admit that I did buy a set from PY about 5 years ago and they were fine. Front and rear.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Thanks. The PY ones from 7 years ago are on the car now. Their pads fit their repro bases better than the OEM bases. Both are correct looking at a glance but not perfect. The pads are really the wrong shape and height.

Still amazes me that manufactures go through the trouble of making repro parts that are incorrect for seemingly no good reason. I can see something inherently hard to reproduce like the correct wire size for the front grill that would take a mill run of material, etc.

But as far as molded parts, just seems insane that these parts cannot be reproduced properly and quality has plummeted through the years.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

had the same issue on my 66 gto, bought new from ames and they looked like sh.... lucky for me my originals cleaned up and look almost new. jd grim 66 gto

Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 PM

It must all boil down to how the parts are being reproduced on the engineering side. If sample original parts are being sent to China with a "make this" mentality and all of the reverse engineering and fabrication is being done over seas it it impossible to control quality. That is how I unfortunately think most manufactures approach reproductions.

By rights, CAD and drawings should be generated in the US first, then the parts sent out for fab and be inspected before approval. If that process was followed, incorrect parts would not be so prevalent.