Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65-66 Steering whee Pics Needed

I have been working on a project that I will go into later if things work out, but was looking for some good photos of different steering wheels for the 65-66 cars. I have a good photo of a Red one and will have a Green one soon, but would love to have a photo of a Black, Tan, or any other color. Also, I need a good photo of one that has been restored and is clear. I would like a close up of the clear portion to show how they treated the steel hoop. Does it look like the rod was blasted, sanded, or polished?

Thanks guys!!!

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will post a gold original shortly. Here are 2 of a black one. The metal appears slick and almost chrome-like in the ones I have that are cracked to where there is a gap down to the metal. I have another black one out of a brougham if you want additional Pics. Black original:

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the pic. By contrast, here is the red one that Ian has now.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Senior Chief

Here's some photos of the black wheel in my wagon.
Not the steering wheel that was in this car from the factory, that one was cracked bad.
This is an eBay find that the previous owners brother bought some five years ago.
If you need any close ups, I can get that, these pics is what I had available in the pc.

66 Bonneville 4-door Hardtop - Sold - But it has its own thread here

66 Bonneville Wagon - Sold

63 Grand Prix - Sold

Last edited by 66 Wagon; 03-04-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some Pics I took of a gold one. Again, I have another if you want more Pics. This one is mounted in front of the john in my son's bathroom, which I have put all my spare car and truck bling in that I have no use for but can not throw away:

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Senior Chief

Here's a rebuilt Pontiac wheel restored by a guy here in Sweden.
I think he restores any steering wheel of any make, started out by fixing 57-60 Mopar wheels, that also used clear plastic.
The wheels he restores are available in any color with our without clear plastic.

Here's some before and after pictures of a 1960 Chrysler wheel he has restored.

He started this restoration with a bad core and went through the whole process of chopping off the old
plastic, recromed the ring and molded new clear plastic on it and finally blending the
correct colour by hand and eye for to get an absolute match with the interior colour.

The price for a Pontiac wheel is 5,000 Swedish kronor (circa 800 dollars).
The guy has no website, he seems to have enough work using only his good rumour and the talk among car people

66 Bonneville 4-door Hardtop - Sold - But it has its own thread here

66 Bonneville Wagon - Sold

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to own a '65 GP with a black interior. The steering wheel was mint, and it looked pretty much like the photos 66wagon and Deadhead posted.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just went out to the car to shoot these pictures and found a brand new gigantic horrible crack in the dash pad! The dash survived almost 50 years without a crack and I usually cover it on hot days in the summer... but I guess the cold is worse than the hot... not happy!

PS Black interior, black wheel original to the car (I believe).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	355523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 2.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	355524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 3.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	355525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 4.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	355526  

Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just looking at the restored wheel posted by our Swedish brother "66 Wagon", and he is quoting around US$800, Although I'd still like to see the barest hint of colour in the clear, it looks very very good.

How does that compare to what is being charged in the US??

I looked at getting my original red wheel restored over here but couldn't find anyone who could do the job. (I was eventually saved courtesy of Brad selling me a red wheel)

Ian

Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an NOS Blue wheel that I can get a picture of if you need it.

They are charging between $12-1500 over here. Most times they leave the clear VERY clear, which is wrong on a Pontiac.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, I don't mind the clear on these cars but a perfect original is so cool to see.

Any photos of NOS or perfect wheels would be great.

I have done some resin casting in the past and am going to try and do a few wheels. It may or may not work out, I don't know for sure but will find out in the next few months. I have 3 steeing wheels along with access to about 10 more cores and thought this could be something gratifying for me. Just wanted to be able to document the colors so when I am tinting some of the cores, I can try to get close to original.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestFugit View Post
I guess the cold is worse than the hot... not happy!
Yes it is. I remove my good wheel from my car in winter in favor of one with a few cracks. Can not do that with the dash though.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
Yea, I don't mind the clear on these cars but a perfect original is so cool to see.

Any photos of NOS or perfect wheels would be great.

I have done some resin casting in the past and am going to try and do a few wheels. It may or may not work out, I don't know for sure but will find out in the next few months. I have 3 steeing wheels along with access to about 10 more cores and thought this could be something gratifying for me. Just wanted to be able to document the colors so when I am tinting some of the cores, I can try to get close to original.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...steering+wheel Hi. I sold this super nice OEM black wheel to "Bigcat". Obviously, these pics do not portray how nice it is. I had much better pics on ebay during the auction. Maybe, Bigcat can send some better pics to you. I rated this OEM wheel a 9.5 out of 10. Hope this helps,Peter

Last edited by 19652plus2; 03-04-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: addition.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
... I would like a close up of the clear portion to show how they treated the steel hoop. Does it look like the rod was blasted, sanded, or polished?

Thanks guys!!!
I believe that the hoop was chrome plated prior to the transparent plastic (lucite?).

Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am thinking the same thing Matt, chrome, nickle, zinc or some plating. I was looking at quality restorations site and it states they paint the metal before they cast it, but this could be for the solid color wheels. I'll have to dig into that part a little further.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 AM

Default original wheel

Here's a couple of shots of my Original wheel (green), hardly seen sun ever, so not faded or cracked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966323_618168844936753_1329789302_o.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	356518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	356519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	356520  

Old 03-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When i contacted QR they admitted to rechroming the rim before adding the plastic. FWIW

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
I looked at getting my original red wheel restored over here but couldn't find anyone who could do the job. (I was eventually saved courtesy of Brad selling me a red wheel)

Ian
A bit late now, but did you try Pearlcraft?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to draw attention to the green one on Ebay, but I tried to purchase it last time, but was outbid by Dennis at QR. He got the steering wheel and was pissed that it was listed as a 64 and that it was cracked all up (microcracks). The photos don't show it well other than the last few. I though i was going to be able to purchase it from the owner but he decided to relist it. I need this wheel to create my cast mold so that I can recreate the clear portion or find one that someone would let me borrow for a few months. I would also include a free recast steering wheel as a fee.

My project is off track until i get a steering wheel to create my mold. If I get that steering wheel, I will sell it for what I got it for after the mold is created. If I don't get that steering wheel I will need one that is not all cracked (crazing is fine) up to use. I know........... I had one, but did not even think about doing a project like this at the time. I have been playing with the resins and think i can get a solid match on the black and the amber color tints.

Anyway, we will see what happens.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
A bit late now, but did you try Pearlcraft?
Pearlcraft used to be about 5 kilometres from my house. They moved up North some years ago but when they were in Melbourne, I took my wheel into them, LOTS of promises but in the end they admitted they couldn't do clear. They can only do solid colours.

I don't deny they do good (but EXPENSIVE), work but they did muck me about for some time before they told me they couldn't do it.

Maybe they can now??? Do you know??

Ian