Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 PM

Default 495 ho

Hi I was wondering what were some thoughts about a 495 stroker stock block filled to bottom of freeze plugs, with a set of 197 ho heads on top , 111 cc should be 9.6 -1 compression ? Will the heads support the engine size ??100% street motor. What cam and intake would compliment a combo like this ?? would be going in a 69 gto m21 3.55 car

sorry posted in race section meant to post in street mods please move

Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave at SD has some pretty strong thoughts on the limited lifespan of a Muncie and 10-bolt rear lasting behind a 4.5" stroker. Dave also recommended the Old Faithful cam on a 114° for the 488 that was built out, and that's the cam we installed. The friend's car hasn't come close to hooking up on the street, but that's probably a good thing or Dave's prediction of a short life span would quickly come true.

While the 4.5" stroker engine turned out good, it killed my desire for building one for myself behind my Muncie - just too much torque right off idle to shred 45 year old parts. I still want to build a 488 for myself, but it will be in front of an auto and a 9" rear with big sticky tires.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To have 100 % volumetric useage of that motors CID you will need heads that flow well over 300 CFM@28" in whatever lift range your cam will have which may be a tall order!
The being said, even with the 197 heads in stock form with a pure street decent idle cam, that motor should make 450 HP with ease.
If this is all the HP your looking for, your set!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You will get conflicting reports about the longevity of 4.5" stroke crank in a stock block.