Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default Brake warning light....

I have noticed that not all brake warning lights are the same.
I do know that it is listed as an option on my 1965.
The word BRAKE in my brake light is illumintated when the power is on and the E-brake is on. you can't see the word when the light is off.
some 1965 GTOs that I have seen have the word BRAKE printed in the spot that can be seen at all times.
Was this an early 1965 issue?
were the 1964's the same way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	170630_ac26b99ca8_low_res.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	351475  

Old 02-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure, but some cars that were not ordered with the option still have the lettered lens in place. Years go by and a fourth or fifth owner of the car goes to diagnose the non-op light, and find out that it's just a lens, but no light or switch was ever installed in the first place. IMO, it's a good option to have, having once driven about 15 miles on the highway with the parking brake on in an old GTO that did NOT have this option. Warped both rear drums and cracked the shoes......not a good day.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Senior Chief

If I had to guess, I would say the brake warning lens in that picture is a reproduction and as most things that are reproduced they just don't get it quite right.

All original 65 brake warning lenses that I have seen do not look like what is in the picture.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
If I had to guess, I would say the brake warning lens in that picture is a reproduction and as most things that are reproduced they just don't get it quite right.

All original 65 brake warning lenses that I have seen do not look like what is in the picture.
I would agree, it appears to be frosted/etched on the outer surface.
All the OE lens' I've seen are black lettered on the backside which are not visible if not backlit.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That dash has obviously been restored. Rarely, if ever are the turn signal lens still that fresh green color after decades.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed most are faded, cracked and/or missing
So I'll consider myself lucky as the dash in my '66 has never been restored and the plastic lens' are in excellent shape

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 03-08-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just looked at the all original rally dash on my own '65....you can not see any of the letters with the brake light off. Just dark red.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
the dash in my '66 has never been restored and the plastic lens' are in excellent shape
Probably because the bulb has been burned out for decades as the heat from that bulb is what fades out the green lense! LOL

Just kidding :-)

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.