Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default AFB Spark Port

I have seen a couple of very high end 63's that have the spark port plugged on the front carb. I am wondering why. I have seen 3433s that do not have any evidence of ever being machined. Are these clones?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Suspended

The one with numbers on the foot is a clone; the real carbs had no numbers on them from the factory.

The one with no numbers is real if the body casting # is correct. The reason I say this is because you can still see casting flash along the bottom edge of the front foot, and you loose that casting flash on a 3012/3221 when you grind the number off during the process of turning that carb into a 3433/35.

As far as the spark port you will see real carbs with that port open and never drilled out, drilled out and threaded with a brass plug in it, and drilled out but plugged with an aluminum rods like both of those carbs seem to have. So the spark port really doesn't tell you anything.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, John. That makes sense because I have a 3435 that has a plugged port too. It has a #2 phillips-drive plug. I don't know why Carter would have installed it. It is not plugging anything. There is no machining that opens into the the throttle bore. I am still wondering why anyone would press a solid slug of material into the hole as shown. The commonly cloned Buick carbs have a spark port that would need to be plugged, but the one with the stamping on the foot is not a Buick carb because it does have the correct style rear vacuum port (visible in another pic). Maybe this plug is a repair to cover up a modification that was done at some time to try to create a functioning spark port since the 3012/3221 did not have spark ports.

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 12-25-2013 at 12:03 AM.