Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '62 Bonneville AC Baffles

Anyone have any info on AC Baffles that were used on the lower front core/valance.
Getting the car ready for paint and with the bumper off there are signs of some sort of Baffles but nothing in the AC manual.
Looking for correct layout and mounting.

Also looking for these pieces with mounting hardware if they are available.

As always Thanks for any help.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Hi Jeff. I'm not really sure if this is what you are talking about, but there were seals at the bottom of my core support as well as the top. I bought the ones on the bottom as a reproduction kit. The one that runs along the top of the support I had to pull off of another 62. hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 the engine compartment complete 2009.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	345159   Click image for larger version

Name:	49 left side buffed.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	345160   Click image for larger version

Name:	51 right side buffed 4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	345161  

Last edited by chiefpontiac66; 12-02-2013 at 12:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chiefpontiac66 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief,
Thanks Much!
Who offers the seal kit?

Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 PM

I want to say I got it from AMES. PY may offer the kit as well. It did not include the seals for bumper brackets, but I think they may be available now. My old ones were in good shape so I just used those. Good luck with your project!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief,
Thanks I'll take another look at the catalogs.
Could you provide us with a close up of the mounting hardware of the longer pieces from the underside?
We have nothing to go by just small remnants of staples & rubber.

Thanks again.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Sorry Jeff, but I was having trouble locating these pics from the teardown 10 years ago. I am not near the car these days as it is at a body shop about 4 hours away so I can't get any underneath pics for you at the moment. As I recall, there are metal mounting brackets located underneath the core support. The seals mount between those brackets and the core support with the screws on the top side that you see in the pics. The ones that run up the sides of the core support were installed with staples.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0017.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	345302   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	345303   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0019.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	345305  

Old 12-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think PY offers the material for the seals you're looking for. It's a sheet of stuff called masticated rubber if I recall correctly. Another board member, PerryKA, may have some pics for you. I know he's got these in his 62 Bonnie. Try giving him a shout.

Kevin

Old 12-03-2013, 02:25 PM

I was checking receipts and it looks like I got mine from AMES. PY also sells the pieces you would need, but it looks like their kits are separated out into a couple of kits. Buying the rubber and making your own might be the most economical way. I checked the online catalogs at both and they both show out of stock on the kits.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
I think PY offers the material for the seals you're looking for. It's a sheet of stuff called masticated rubber if I recall correctly. Another board member, PerryKA, may have some pics for you. I know he's got these in his 62 Bonnie. Try giving him a shout.

Kevin
Actually if originality is key, the OEM stuff is not the masticated stuff (like '64+ cars use on the A-frame/inner fender water shields); it is more pliable, black rubber of some kind (sorry but I don't know how to describe it).

...Of course, my limited knowledge is based on VIN code A (Arlington) built cars.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found the "Kit" listed in the AMES B-Body cat.
The harder part will be making the the underside training strips, that are long gone.
If anyone has any to offer let me know, or if one can trace tempts that would be appreciated as well.

Chief,
Thanks again those pics are a big help.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I will look tonight to see if I have any useful pics of that area. I'm afraid I may not have documented those specific pieces very well with the camera when the car was apart and then going back together, but I will look. I may not have anything better than what chiefpontiac66 has already posted.

I do recall that the originals on my car were good enough to clean up and re-use, so I don't think I bought any.

I'll look tonight underneath there and see what can be seen with the car all together.

Alan

Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM

Jeff, you might try Steve at Indiana Pontiacs. He may have an air car with the rubber, brackets and screws. If he has them, you might want to get both the upper and lower pieces. The reproductions don't really look all that original. As I recall, mine looked more like rubber than the masticated rubber.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, what do you mean by "underside training strips"?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I looked and you can't really see anything with the car assembled.

But I did find a few pics from when I took my car apart. Hope these can be of some use.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	62Bonne073.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	345467   Click image for larger version

Name:	62Bonne074.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	345468   Click image for larger version

Name:	62Bonne076.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	345469   Click image for larger version

Name:	62Bonne081.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	345470  

Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "underside training strips"

Looking at the core support there are a series of holes aprox 3/8"
It appears on the images and info posted there are flat stock metal strips that go under the baffles in these areas, sandwiching the rubber between the core support and this metal underside strip. With a tap/course thread bolt pulling it all together and possibly a slip on caged nut?

Correct me if wrong, as we have nothing on the car to go by.
That's what I really need to see.

Also looking for the large grommet used on the AC cond hose.
Anyone know if they are avail?
Thanks All.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 07-02-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't suppose anyone has a pic of the metal strip used to sandwich in the upper radiator seal that goes between the top support and the radiator? Looks like I'm going to try my hand making one. It'd be nice if I could see what one looks like first. Should be relatively easy to make one up, I'd imagine.

Thanks

Kevin

Old 07-02-2014, 06:22 PM

My 61 Catalina.
This is the best I can do without taking it apart. The strip is about .042 Thou thick, 27.5" long about 1.75" wide. There is a slight downward bend finished off with a 90 degree down turn of app 1/8". You should have holes or dimples in the cross member already. The screws are more to the front side of the strip, not centered. The rubber is sandwiched between the strip and upper cross member, and goes across the condenser to the radiator. My screw holes measured 7.5" between both side ones and 10.5" on the two center ones. Get your seal kit before you drill the plate, as they should be punched. Mine were.
My mechanical drawing days are 55 years behind me, so forgive the hen scratch.

Butch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1694.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	368895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	368896  

Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Butch!

Thanks so much! I do have the seal but didn't know how wide the metal strip is or much about the bends. Knew there was a lip also.

So does the outside edge of the seal align with the edge of the metal strip?

I found some bar stock aluminum at home depot that you see in the pic. Only thing is it's 1 1/2" wide instead of 1 3/4" as you mention. Iplan on cutting it to length, then use the seal as the template, but I'm not sure about the alignment. If it just mates up to the seal, then that makes things a lot easier. I figure maybe I can make a slight bend along the length by making a makeshift brake sandwiching the metal between two sections of plywood. since my strip is a quarter inch less wide, maybe I'll make less of a bend to account for the difference.

Here's a pic of what I think is the right orientation for the seal. Look about right?

Once again... Thanks very much!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	metal strip.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	368899  

Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM

Kevin,

It would probably work just like that with the narrower piece. I don't think the bend or lip would matter. The seal seems pretty tough. My seal falls over the condenser to the small space next to the radiator. You could also go to a commercial air conditioning shop. They usually have brakes to make pans and ducts, and sheet metal close to the thickness you need. I bought a complete 61 AC system from Steve Snyder back in 2010. Everything worked after I cleaned it up. I did have to rebuild my hot gas valve, and have a new evaporator made a year later. My AC blows ice cubes. I use Duracool 12a in it. It's pretty cheap, comes from Canada, and keeps the pressures low. High side never goes over 250. I had a 61 and a 62 in the early 60's with R12. High side pressures would run 350 here in Florida. Vent temp runs low to mid 40's and mid to high 30's at night. I was running 29-34 degrees for awhile but had to change the hot gas valve setting. It was just too low. I have many years of AC experience with Porsches.

Good luck, happy to help.

Butch

Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Butch,

I think I'll drill the holes and see what needs to be done from there. My car is not an AC car. I'm adding the seal in an effort to help the car run a little bit cooler while trying to keep things looking fairy original or at least, looking like it's supposed to be there.

I s'pose I'll fit the seal using a bit of trial and error. will fit it in there and if any bends need to be made, then go from there.

By the way... Your car looks beautiful! Love the 61's every bit as much if not more than the 62's and you have a fine example! I'd really like to get my hands on one someday.

Have a good one!

Kevin