THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Senior Chief

An old tradition that has since ended.

Way back when I was a kid, Christmas was always spent at my Grandparents (Dad's side) house with all the aunts, uncles, cousins. My Grandma was a very religious, very proper woman. All of her family was expected to be there - period. Everyone was dressed up, prayer's were said, many pictures were taken with everybody posed just right. Absolutely no time for horseplay. The highlight of the Holiday was always when some of my cousins would sing traditional Christmas songs for everyone else to "enjoy". Grandma would always shut us up and gather us around for that and then act as the "conductor".

So, one year my mom decided it was our turn to sing a Christmas song at the big family Christmas. Grandma was overjoyed at the news that my mom, my brothers and I were gonna participate in this years songs. We practiced at home a few times to get it just right. Me, my middle brother, and mom would sing, and my oldest brother played the guitar. Dad was not allowed to the rehearsals. He was gonna be surprised too.

Christmas day came and it was time to perform. This time Grandma shut everyone else up for US to sing. She couldn't wait to hear what we were gonna sing. Mom started us off, "And a one, and a two", big brother started in with the guitar,
"Grandma got run over by a reindeer"
"Walking home from our house Christmas Eve"...
We sang our song proudly with Mom singing the loudest and all my aunts, uncles, cousins, and especially Dad and Grandma sitting in complete shock with their jaws on the floor. That was THE last Christmas song ever sung at Grandma's house. True story