Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Charles,
You need to post the pictures of how you cut the carpet for those that have not seen them done correctly. Did you document your original before replacing it?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Charles,
You need to post the pictures of how you cut the carpet for those that have not seen them done correctly. Did you document your original before replacing it?
Naw man, I screwed mine up the first time!

That was in 1978.

Here's how it should be done.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet Cut 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	344004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet Cut 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	344005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet Cut 3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	344006  

Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Now if you screwed yours up back in the day who's are these?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guys I got the correct procedure from.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great job at documenting the original method of cutting for the seat mounting.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:27 AM

If your seat rails are painted and look good, you could mount them over the carpet. It's a personal opinion thing though, but I like them that way, no cuts in carpet.

I unfortunately started my interior job in 1983 with Al Knoch interiors, who at the time was considered the best. I also had a convertible boot made there. Unfortunately, being a broke azz teen, I didn't get the back seat done at the time since I was missing the bottom springs. I am going to get a sample of the Legendary and I hope the grain and color matches up, since Al Knoch only does Corvette interiors now. I love the way my fronts look, though I did reuse the foam and may redo them with new foam.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As Charles said, no matter how well installed, the PUI covers look wrong. They have no depth or texture to the pleats, the pleats look like they're drawn on with a pen. Very, very cheesy looking compared to the original stuff. And it's very apparent, at least to 'car' people.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
As Charles said, no matter how well installed, the PUI covers look wrong. They have no depth or texture to the pleats, the pleats look like they're drawn on with a pen. Very, very cheesy looking compared to the original stuff. And it's very apparent, at least to 'car' people.
On that note, I have a set of PUI covers in like-new condition available cheap if anyone needs something for a their daily "beater". They do look better than a ripped up factory cover with exposed foam, etc...

Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple of pics after getting new foam and legendary covers. Also added the aftermarket head rests. Painted the back & side metal pieces with semi-gloss lacquer, which I think matches pretty well.

last picture is of the old pui cover for comparison...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lseat1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	346931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lseat2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	346932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lseat3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	346933   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	346934  

The Following User Says Thank You to leeklm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You definitely see a difference in the crispness of the vinyl. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the old PUI and an old original.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ross, the pleats in the original covers are raised... rounded over. The PUI and Distinctive Design cover's pleats are as flat as a board and look like crap. You can see in Leeklm's photos just how bad they are. My GTO has it's original back seat upholstry that no one has ever ridden on. The difference between it and the buckets is like night and day. Makes me sick but I just have to wait until Spring to get the buckets recovered.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beautifuldaughter View Post
Legendary said this was my fault not there's
Thank You Sir May I have Another!
Just a couple of questions on your install. Did you use ACI seat foams & have you tried a steamer on the wrinkles? If not at least try the steamer, I'd think most if not all of those will work out.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the originals in my blue 66 and a set of PUI's in the GTO. Night and day difference.

Funny all the negative comments on the PUI seats and there's an add of theirs to the right of my post

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 12-22-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
You definitely see a difference in the crispness of the vinyl. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the old PUI and an old original.
My car still has the original back seat. I don't have a picture handy, but looks very similar to the new legendary front seats, which is one of reasons I replaced the PUI on the fronts, as it did not match well at all. I will be taking my back seat out one of these days, and will do a side x side pic.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Funny all the negative comments on the PUI seats and there's an add of theirs to the right of my post
Has anyone recently purchased PUI covers? Product looks decent in some of their ad pictures. The PUI material i removed was from 2002, has it been improved in the last 10 years?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
Has anyone recently purchased PUI covers? Product looks decent in some of their ad pictures. The PUI material i removed was from 2002, has it been improved in the last 10 years?
This thread should tell speak volumes as to the look of the seats vs the originals.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leeklm, I saw a complete set.... front and rear.... a year ago this past September. A guy had just finished his 66's restoration with a set of PUI seat covers. I showed him my original back seat and he almost fainted. He said he'd been in a hurry to finish and never thought to compare PUI and Legendary for originality to the originals. Haven't seen him since to see what he did.

There's a couple of 66s around here with PUI covers, but these guys don't care if they're original looking or not. To me it would it's like putting woodgrain vinyl on kitchen cupboards instead of real wood.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been told (by a popular competitor) now that Trim Parts owns PUI, their upholstery will be manufactured elsewhere (cheaper, see the ad>>>) and will be arriving in the U.S. by boat. The "popular competitor" is still manufacturing in the U.S.

"You gets what you pays for!"

Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
Here are a couple of pics after getting new foam and legendary covers. Also added the aftermarket head rests. Painted the back & side metal pieces with semi-gloss lacquer, which I think matches pretty well.

last picture is of the old pui cover for comparison...
LOL....that's not even remotely close in quality. What a night and day difference. I really can't believe PUI would stay in business selling stuff that inferior to Legendary.

Good move on the seats!

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
LOL....that's not even remotely close in quality. What a night and day difference. I really can't believe PUI would stay in business selling stuff that inferior to Legendary.

Good move on the seats!
Because many don't realize the difference. And they are cheaper.

I think the overall quality of the PUI is good, its just not a good representation of what the original seats are like. I have the PUI's in the car I just bought and have a receipt form almost fifteen years ago for them from the previous owner. Still in good shape.