Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Default Pros and cons on turbo '59 389 vs 72' 455?

Hey guys I've posted here in the past about possible plans for a turbo build. Everyone who chimed in had great feedback! And I appreciated it greatly. Well, project got put on back burner but recently I was thinking about it again and am trying to decide on a direction to go. 2 options, one is a 59' 389 based approach and the other is 72 .030 455.

For the 455 I already have most parts but it's not been assembled. Block has been decked .015, Turned 10/10 N crank, 2 bolt cap (arp studs), .030 speed pro, sealed power rings, h beam rods, 3/4 race bearings both mains and rods, melling pump m54ds, going to run a set of#66 heads 114cc (which had a rebuild a while back but sat.) going to go through them again and add ferrea on intake side with stiffer springs. And suggestions on a proper spring set? Already have an 068 grind but not opposed to a modern turbo design if someone suggests. I've got a few manifolds to choose from, torker 1, performer, p4b, 72' cast 4b. And a regular felpro gasket set. I am currently looking for a s 475 unit and hope to pick it up in the next month or 2..any leads? And carb..leads there as well. Looking for 700 hp in a 4000# Catalina 63. I also have a built t 400 and rebuilt stock ish converter. I f I remember right it was 500 rpm above stock stall.

The 59' 389 is a great condition bare block n caps sitting under the work bench. Should I build that one instead? Use some of the parts for the 455 for it? I have numerouse sets of heads for desired comp to choose from. I have a couple of spare N 400 cranks to choose from. Maybe get the splayed program kit for it ( just the center 3).? I did read somewhere about benefit of smaller bore with regards to gasket strength. But that means new pistons unless I bore to 455 dims. Please feel free to share so I can make up my mind one way or the other! Lastly, looking to focus at the 700 hp level

Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Turbo69bird has built basically the combo you want except t88 turbo...7-900 hp... just use the 455... stock crank a decent set of H-beams and good forged pistons... good dampner and flex-plate,you got the studded block... not a fan of the speed pro std forging (they are 4032 alloy 2618 preffered) but better than cast and again others have run them at this level. The 068 will work so will a Summit 2802... Travis Quillen/Butler or Bullet if you want a custom grind. Travis/Butler for valve springs... Personally I'd go with a solid vs a hydraulic but its not mandatory... most will tell you no on the performer but turbo69bird ran one for years with no real issues before going EFI... I dont know that I'd be comfortable with the T1 I'd lean more toward a T2 or HSD
BTW turbo69bird should be able to get you a good price on an s475 contact Jeff at 860-392-9608 http://www.mayhemturbo.com/

or contact Forced inductions http://forcedinductions.com/contact.htm 256-796-1230 or 1-256-658-5798 Jose should be able to get you a new S475 for under $700.

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceWilkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2013, 11:59 PM

Thanks again as always bruce,

Yeah, I was leaning that direction at this point. I'm going to spend a little more time on crank prep. I'll deburr casting flash, open up and teardrop a touch more at journals and have another polish done. The whole rotating assembly will be balanced. I've read somewhere about opening up the feed hole diameter on main bearings a touch. i also remember something about opening up the oil pump inlet/outlet holes on block to 1/2". basically drilling with a long bit. Of course stopping at the appropriate location! Anyone out there willing to chime in about those things I'd greatly appreciate it. Maybe I'll ask on another thread.

Last edited by Merrik66; 10-14-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think either block would be good . But if It were me, I would go with the 389. I think it will be stronger/more durable, and with less stroke will make it more manageable for street driving .Not that it will really matter because its going to make all kinds of torque any way, but I think a little less. I cant even get my little 4 cylinder to grab the ground like I would like it to. With that said you will have twice the motor I have lol!

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

I hope you make a tread on your build.

If so I will be watching....

Again, Good Luck..

Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM

I'll second the vote for hsd, similar in height to performer (hood clearance) and easier to tune to plugs. I tried the performer and plug color was scary with no logical way to tune for runner length, shape, carb hat location, etc. May have been able to compensate with overall rich tune??? FWIW

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far. Yeah, rob thanks for sharing your experience with the manifold. It's the little clues and advice like that which will help me prevent shooting myself in the foot unknowingly. All of you guys who post, I'm greatful for the guidance and help!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Save your 59 block for a more serious build... What you have now is a good starting point and you can spend for things like gates and blow-off valve etc... it adds up quick. When you got your learnin curve down, get bored and want to step up, start building the 59 with forged/billet crank, extra strong pistons/pins, aluminum rods, better heads etc..

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceWilkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Bruce. The 455 is strong enough to do what you want. The '59, although stronger, resents other problems with bell housing adaptors and starter/starter mount adaptations that you don't have to deal with o the 455. Turbos are very easy on bocks and rotating assemblies. You can make more poser with them with less stress with a turbo, versus nitrous or a blower. But if you are looking to climb the horsepower ladder later after the initial set up. The '59 can be built bullet proof. I just built a '60 block into a 406 and it will be very stout. BUT. I have yet to start it so I can only surmise it's strength. I do know of a certain Pontiac Powered Nostalgic Top Fuel car making over 3000 HP with these blocks. But he has taken unusual steps to make it take it.

Mark L

Mark L

Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You should be fine with the 455 and the shortblock parts you listed. You listed all the same parts I have been using in my motor for 6 boosted years.

The Following User Says Thank You to 70 bird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the pieces and ideas 70. I've still got a TON of work to do before I get this thing together as anyone here can probably testify to. Just gotta keep it movin forward. Im gonna ask a question about my head choice though... The #66 casting. Anything I should be aware of with that particular head? What I know is that it's a 114cc with 2.11/1.77, 1971. I may do some light pocket porting on them with a gasket match. I've got other sets of heads but this one is the last set I've got with that type of volume aside from a pair of 7m5's ?..I think..anyway the '72 version 114cc but no end bolt holes.