THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We used to buy electronic measurement instruments from China. When we complained about the high failure rate, they said "No problem, we'll just send 10% more products on you next order to cover the failures. We do that all the time."

Old 09-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Suspended

Everyone on here seems to think the consumer has the power to change all this china junk we have to buy, but Sorry your/were the reason we have all this cheep junk. That & our mothers & fathers demanding cheeper item all the time, but the real fault is GREED & our goverment GREED. All the people who have the money have the control & they allowed the people who make all this junk ship it overseas to be made because it could be done cheeper there. Now all the junk we buy it made somewhere else & our GREEDY goverment allows it to happen every day in the name of free trade. All it wwould take is our gov. officials to say if you don't make it here you can't sell it here, or if you make it somewhere else you'll be charged a tax equeal to or more to ship that junk back into the states for sale. Then when the people who make this junk find it's cheeper to bring it back to th states , make it here & sell it here then we will once again be the power we once were & we will again control our own futures & become a mgfing country again which will give us the control we don't have & haven't had since 1973. Yes 1973 it started with GM buying that **** steel from japan that was prerusted because it was stored IN THE N.Y. harbor under water becasue it was cheeper then storing it in a wearhouse. It started the ball rolling with buying junk overseas because they were sure it was cheeper, but didn't realize it was the start of the end of mgf. in AMERICA.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary bennett View Post
I got lucky yesterday. bought a new coil from autozone for my 89 mercury G/M .the box says made in the USA
The box is made in the USA but is the part?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

:"Is it really a great deal or will it be another buyer's remorse?" Alvin, brilliantly stated. Bravo. Says it all. Thank you for making my day. I believe we DO have control over this, but it takes effort. STOP BUYING Chinese crap. PMD1969, if it were me, and I needed studs for my '69 Firebird, I'd seriously think about taking a trip to the boneyard and pulling the studs there or buying a junk axle for cheap and pressing the studs out later. USA made, and guaranteed to last the rest of your lifetime...and hold the wheel on the car, too!! 40 year old used oem trumps China pot metal every time.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

So what are the people of China dealing with? Do they only export the bad stuff? Or is that whats on their shelves too?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As said before they CAN produce a quality product IF specified. Their other problem is the conversion from the metric to inch and how many decimal places to bring it out to. To answer your question I would assume good enough if OK for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefan71 View Post
So what are the people of China dealing with? Do they only export the bad stuff? Or is that whats on their shelves too?
What they do to their own food supply may give you an idea: http://www.theguardian.com/world/200...death-sentence

Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Default Caveat emptor

Good luck buying non-Chinese or other overseas made parts regardless of the name on the box.

My work brings me into contact with many OE suppliers, and where their components come from is often a "Global Supply Chain". Case in point, a local source (well known US based company) got the business for a key assembly. More components come from overseas (China, India, Korea) than the USA, assembly is in the US so it's "made in America".

The Chinese have some of the most modern steel-making equipment in the world ( I think Bao Steel is the largest producer globally), but for any part it comes down to what their customer specs, inspects, and pays for. Many times in steel-making heats, bars, coils get downgraded because they don't meet the target, so that's what gets sent to steel warehouses etc. you have to buy a lot of steel to deal directly with a steel mill. Otherwise you're at the mercy of the warehouse for what should work for your application.

And at the discrete electrical component level, almost impossible to find US made resistors, caps, etc.

Not disagreeing, but the complaint should be for stores who stock the junk, they need to find sources that can provide quality (and we have to accept prices that we probably won't like).

Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

Put two stores side by side. One selling high quality spec'd goods at a premium price the other selling cheaply made goods at a much lower price. My guess is store number two is going to move inventory at a much higher rate. Examples, Harbor Freight and Wal Mart. Now store number one see's this, guess what they will do. Bingo garbage in garbage out. I myself and what seems like the majority of this board are willing to pay for premium parts. But we probably do more of our own work than the average consumer who relates lower cost to bigger bargain. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see change on the horizon. I'm sure any country can produce high quality item's but there has to be buyer's. Again supply and demand.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Exhaust Guru

Use the dealership and buy OEM parts.

Check this: OEM coil for 2.4 MOPAR, cost is $56, list $73. NAPA Echlin "made in USA" coil, cost $77, list over $100. It pays to start checking on OEM parts from the dealership as you know what the quality is and if it is less cost than aftermarket, why not?

A cheap chinese coil? I have no idea as I'd not use them.
Tom