Old 09-22-2013, 09:50 PM

Default Heater Core Bypass

My heater core on my '69 LeMans (no A/C) has been leaking on the front passenger mat. I've read some posts that the heater core is tricky to replace, so I'd rather just bypass it for now (I never need the heat anyway). Would that involve just hooking the 2 hoses that go into the firewall together? I believe those hoses might be different widths, so I'd have to get a 3/4" - 5/8" connector (see attached photo). Is that all there is to it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	337525  

Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your heater core does not need to be plugged. What you WILL need to do is disconnect the hose that comes from the water pump and plumb that back into the nipple on the cylinder head. Look where the hose from the water pump goes. Then look where the heater core outlet goes to the cylinder head. Make sure you put the hose from the water pump to the nipple on the head.

Look that the attached picture. Shoot - it won't load. I'll edit/update in a moment.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)

Last edited by 68gtoMN; 09-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68gtoMN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did mine last week. Got a couple of brass fittings from Lowes and unless you REALLY look you'd never know. Will I miss heat until I fix it next year (bad arm). Probably not.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Senior Chief

I didn't think replacing the heater core in my non-AC LeMans was all that tricky.

It's a lot easier than the evaporator core on the Dodge Intrepid that I was doing about the time I replaced my heater core. For the Intrepid you have to remove the dash, then remove the heater box from the dash.

While you may not need heat, you might want to consider if need the defroster. Maybe you don't, but it is something to consider.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 PM

For anyone looking to do a heater core bypass, it was pretty simple. I attached a photo of the final result. Hopefully I'll find time to install a new heater core next year, and I'll just need to remove the "U" connector, and plug the hoses back into the ports in the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypasss.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	338737  

Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was getting coolant on my pass side floor and I knew my heater core was new. Turn out to be a loose clamp. No leak on the out side but only on the inside( on my new carpet).

TOM