THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Suspended

Wink Friday & Hummingbird thread

Friday! Friday! Friday!

and

Hummingbirds have been hitting the feeders all week, and especially plentiful today...saving up for their continued migration south of the boarder.

http://www.chron.com/life/article/Lo...ds-1701936.php

http://www.houstonaudubon.org/defaul...ookieSupport=1

Videos of 2013 Migration http://videomovie.click-for-life.com...-in-texas.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that the last of the hummingbirds were at the feeder this past Wednesday but they really loaded up the 10 days prior to that.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM

HAPPY FRIDAY PY'rs beautiful weather here today hope it continues through the weekend. No car shows this weekend, but meeting with the builder on Sunday to go over house style, changes to the rancher this builder intended to put on the 3 acres, and colors and style of roof shingles, siding, shutters, stone for the front of the house and ground to windows, garage and entrance doors, and sidewalk paver choice. Pole barn style and size and location. Changing some things inside the house, and some add on's as well. So I'm excited to see what he comes up with price wise.

Everyone have a safe and fun Autumn weekend.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Friday! Friday! Friday!

and

Hummingbirds have been hitting the feeders all week, and especially plentiful today...saving up for their continued migration south of the boarder.

http://www.chron.com/life/article/Lo...ds-1701936.php

http://www.houstonaudubon.org/defaul...ookieSupport=1

Videos of 2013 Migration http://videomovie.click-for-life.com...-in-texas.html

I LOVEEEEEE Hummers I have a few here, and as well they are coming less and less as it's cold here at night. See one a few times during the day but I know it's getting ready to leave soon.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

The Following User Says Thank You to Firedup6975 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I LOVEEEEEE Hummers I have a few here, and as well they are coming less and less as it's cold here at night. See one a few times during the day but I know it's getting ready to leave soon.
We feed them w a simple filtered water and sugar mix that we change out once a week. Keeps them healthy for their continued migration.

We only put the feeders out when they start buzzing around our hibiscus et al blooms. They let us know it's feeding time again...in the fall and spring.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They have been eating us out of house & home for about a month now. Somewhere around 60-70 birds a day, all day, every day. At least 1&1/2 gallons of sugar water a day. Starting to taper down just recently.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here in Central Texas on Sept 3rd I had six feeders going and all were very busy often with 4, 5 and 6 birds at a time on some feeders. In early mornings and early evenings I had dozens and dozens buzzing around the yard. As expected most were Ruby-Throated migrating thru the area with some Black-Chined. Also saw one Rufous. Usually they start to peak toward mid Sept in this area and the numbers typical drop off some. For a short time I noticed the numbers fell off as they moved on South. However this year I noticed not long after the numbers grew larger again, this was during the time when tropical storms were forming in Mexico's Bay of Campeche, and later up into Mexico. As migrating birds moved South instinct told them not to move further into bad weather, thus they stayed around untill the weather improved down in the Gulf and Mexico. Right now I'm only seeing one or two a day.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 09-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't seen any of mine on the feeders for the last few days. They have probably left until early next April.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I may have mentioned this before but this past spring I was eating breakfast and looking out the picture window at the new foliage across the channel. Not once but twice on successive days a hummingbird flew right up to the window and stayed just looking in for about 5 to 10 seconds. I had not set out the feeder yet but it like he was asking "where's my food"?

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only thing flying around here is Stink Bugs,Stink Bugs...and more Stink Bugs...Can't kill them fast enough. Don't know why I was blessed with them..
Other wise...have a good week end..

Good luck with new house MA...something GOOD..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Only thing flying around here is Stink Bugs,Stink Bugs...and more Stink Bugs...Can't kill them fast enough. Don't know why I was blessed with them..

Never had a problem w Stink Bugs till severe drought few yrs ago. Bright Red Juvinals SBs by the thousands on Sweet Pepper Plants, learned to eagle-eye and kill them off early ever since.

Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I may have mentioned this before but this past spring I was eating breakfast and looking out the picture window at the new foliage across the channel. Not once but twice on successive days a hummingbird flew right up to the window and stayed just looking in for about 5 to 10 seconds. I had not set out the feeder yet but it like he was asking "where's my food"?
I can do one better, while sitting on my porch, and just happened to have a red shirt on, a brave Hummer flew up to my face and thought my nose was a flower and it poked me with it's beak. just a tiny poke then flew off realizing I wasn't a Trumpet Flower LOL.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
We feed them w a simple filtered water and sugar mix that we change out once a week. Keeps them healthy for their continued migration.

We only put the feeders out when they start buzzing around our hibiscus et al blooms. They let us know it's feeding time again...in the fall and spring.
Yep I do the same. I boil the water in my microwave first when I make my cup of hot water for my morning coffee. Add the sugar to dissolve and cool off clean the feeders with hot water and dish soap, sometimes I use a few drops of bleach to kill any germs, then hang the feeders and almost immediately they start coming. I think it's funny how they chirp and fly after one another to hog the whole feeder even though it has 4 sides. Here's a pic, not that great but I snapped it with my phone a month ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0807101230a.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	338039  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I can do one better, while sitting on my porch, and just happened to have a red shirt on, a brave Hummer flew up to my face and thought my nose was a flower and it poked me with it's beak. just a tiny poke then flew off realizing I wasn't a Trumpet Flower LOL.
Funny! I've had a few occasions of them hovering near my ears, etc. as I was watering or trimming various flowing plants.

We have at least one that can be heard from inside our house as it feeds on other side of sliding glass doors... Very high frequency chirping can be heard from the Tiny Hummingbirds.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was attacked moving a couple hanging plants last summer......but they have left for the most part. I see a couple here & there. I had 1 nesting close thats very aggressive & chases all others as soon as they get close to my feeders.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrrat1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post

Thank you! A new life in a new home. I'm excited!!! Most Women would be excited to pick colors and stuff for in the house. Me NOPE! I can't wait to get the pole barn done with a lift in it for the cars.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got off work at 0900 this morning, then I went home and slept from 1100 to 1800. I took my kid to tae-kwon-do and now I'm getting ready to do school-work into the wee hours, in an attempt to stay on third shift through the weekend. My bathroom renovation progress has slowed, and I need to get my engine parts to the machine shop soon, and this 3rd shift is making it a challenge. I guess I'll figure it out and learn to deal with it as time moves on.

Happy weekend everyone!

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 09-28-2013, 09:34 AM

This spring, I was at the kitchen sink washing dishes and turned over my shoulder and said to my wife, the humming birds should be back any time now and she busted out laughing and said turn around, don't ya know there were 3 of them looking in the window as if to say OK where is it?. Very fun little guys to watch. The last one I saw was Monday this week. The journey begins. Our wood ducks come back to the same tree home the woodpeckers made for them every year on the same day. Pretty cool restoring a piece of machinery to as new condition, but still don't compare with the perfection all around us every day most of us take for granted. Enjoying the final push into fall. Leaving for Bermuda next Saturday for a couple weeks and hope to return to peak colors in Ohio. Hope everyone gets to take a drive in their old Pontiac in the full fall colors at least once. It may be the only reason I still live in this frozen tundra after 35 years, just to get this perfect weather in October and November.

The Following User Says Thank You to GP_4_SPD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_4_SPD View Post
This spring, I was at the kitchen sink washing dishes and turned over my shoulder and said to my wife, the humming birds should be back any time now and she busted out laughing and said turn around, don't ya know there were 3 of them looking in the window as if to say OK where is it?. Very fun little guys to watch. The last one I saw was Monday this week. The journey begins. Our wood ducks come back to the same tree home the woodpeckers made for them every year on the same day. Pretty cool restoring a piece of machinery to as new condition, but still don't compare with the perfection all around us every day most of us take for granted. Enjoying the final push into fall. Leaving for Bermuda next Saturday for a couple weeks and hope to return to peak colors in Ohio. Hope everyone gets to take a drive in their old Pontiac in the full fall colors at least once. It may be the only reason I still live in this frozen tundra after 35 years, just to get this perfect weather in October and November.
Thank you for the great visual story. Enjoy Bermuda and the "white roofs".

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We enjoy the hummingbirds too just haven't been around to look for them.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft